Chapter 19 ~ Just An Irish Girl Living In Lonely World

March 2013

Bailey’s P.O.V.

“One Direction’s world tour began in-,”

“Harry Styles of One Direction, seen out with-,”

“Homecoming for One Direction’s own Niall-,”

“One Direction visit Ghana for awareness of-,”

They were everywhere. There was no escaping them, no matter how hard I tried. Mum had called and said her and dad had had dinner with Niall and his parents. As per my request, Niall remained in the dark about how I was feeling.

“Oh Bailey,” she’d say. “She loves New York. She has a great job and she’s doing really well at it too. She’s really thriving there.”

It was a downright lie, but I didn’t want Niall to know how badly I was suffering. If he cared, he’d chase me down himself. Obviously, he didn’t care, because he hadn’t called, written, texted, or shown up here. I hadn’t heard from him since the night he’d made his confession.

Honestly, I was flattered. No guy had ever told me that he loved me and truly meant it. Out of my three serious boyfriends, not including Harry, two had told me they loved me and then just left me. When Niall had spoken those words, I had known he truly meant them, but at the same time, I couldn’t picture him as anything more than a brother or my best friend.

“Bailey,” Delilah called, interrupting me from my “Say Yes To The Dress” marathon on Netflix.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“I’m going out with my friends tonight. You wanna come?” she asked.

“Oh,” I said. “Uh…thanks for asking but I think I’ll stay here.”

“OK,” she said. “See you.”

“See you,” I answered as she left. The door clicked behind her and I went back to my guilty pleasure.

Honestly, I just didn’t want to go out with her. I didn’t know her that well and I knew I wasn’t going to fit in with her group. She’d had them over a few times and I just closed myself in my room as they screamed and laughed and danced and drank. It wasn’t me at all.

I flipped so I was lying on my stomach watching girls cry because their mums weren’t happy with a dress they loved. It was the epitome of the show.

But all of a sudden, that girl was me.

“Mum why don’t you love it?” I asked as I stood in the gown. “It’s gorgeous.”

“I’m being honest sweetie,” she said. “It’s a beautiful dress, but I don’t think it’s your dress. But if you love it it’s your decision.”

“I love it,” I said. “I know he’ll love it too. But I want you to love it.”

“Wait I have one more dress to show you,” my consultant piped up. “I think this will be it.”

I walked back with her and changed into the beautiful gown. But as the door opened for me to walk out of the changing room, I was suddenly walking into a church as music played and my dad walked with me down the aisle. I looked around at everything, exactly the way I had planned it when I was a little girl. As I looked around I saw everyone dear to me sitting there. Finally I looked up to the front of the church and gasped.

Niall was there with the minister. I reached him and he smiled at me.

“You look beautiful,” he said.

“Thanks,” I said. “Um…what are you doing here?”

“Marrying you?” he tried with a laugh. “Why else would I be here?”