Chapter 17 ~ It's A New York City Valentine Heartbreak

February 2013

It’s Valentine’s Day in the Big Apple and the girl could not be more unhappy about it. Usually, her and her famous best friend would be each other’s valentine, gifting each other with chocolate and gift cards, just to say they had a Valentine. But now, she’s all alone.

The city is bathed in pink and red, hearts all over every window in every store, couples on every corner showing the world their affection for each other as the black haired girl walks through them with coffee for her boss.

She doesn’t have her dream job, she doesn’t have a significant other, she doesn’t have her best friend, she doesn’t have her family with her, she doesn’t feel like she has anything anymore. She lost her whole world when she lost the boy she called her best friend.

She’s still angry at him for what he did to her, but he doesn’t know that. He doesn’t know anything past the day she left. He’s in the dark while she’s out in the open.

Bailey’s P.O.V.

I walked down the street past all the couples dining on breakfast together, past all the heart shaped balloons, roses, pink and red. I was carrying my boss’ coffee and silently cursing Niall for doing this to me.

He’d always been my valentine, except for a couple years when I actually had a boyfriend. But now I was all alone. Mum had said she’d send some brownies, but it wasn’t really the same.

I was still so upset with Niall for spilling this on me, for ruining life as I knew it. I couldn’t believe I was having to live like this now. I hated him, but I missed him as well. And he never knew.

My letter had never went out in the mail. After writing and addressing it, I couldn’t even function through my hysteria. I couldn’t send it. And the next morning I slept late and so I was rushing and didn’t have time to send it out. It was sitting my bedside table, mocking me day after day, but I couldn’t bring myself to send it.

The thing was, I was afraid of what he might do. I was afraid that he was still hurting so much, he might do something stupid if he read it. At the same time, I knew Niall. He wasn’t the kind to be really rash, but he was spontaneous. I just didn’t know what to do anymore.

“Here ma’am,” I said entering my boss’ office with her coffee.

“Oh Bailey you’re a life saver,” she said. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

I smiled as she continued, “I have something for you to do.”

“Sure thing,” I answered. “What is it?”

“I need you to go down to photography.”

I perked up. Was she about to send me to where I belonged? Turn me over into the world I dreamed about being in? Was I about to begin my dream? Visions of holding that camera in my hands and snapping one picture after another, giving a model instructions flashed through my mind.

“And tell Scott to please make sure that we don’t make the mistake of adding highlights to her hair this time. It was a disaster last photoshoot,” she said breaking my bubble and taking a sip of her coffee. “Thank you Bailey.”

“Yes ma’am,” I said softly. This was annoying me.

I had come into this job, specifically saying I wanted to be a photographer, but here I was, running errands for my boss and everyone else who ranked higher than me. I was like their assistant, making copies, sending messages, fetching lunch and coffee. I was meant for bigger things than this, I knew it. I knew I had to have more of a purpose in life than being the copy girl.