122. ꕥ What You Can Do

"Bellamy, please don't do this. You know it's stupid."

"It's not stupid." He replied.

"Oh, yeah. Duck-taping a suit back together isn't stupid. My bad."

Darkness had soon fallen over Arkadia, along with a continuous heavy downpour of black rain that had thunder roars and lightning strikes mixed with it. Our sector sought salvation in the hangar bay that had become a save haven and miniature version of Medical as the real one was already over-crowded with black rain victims. Everywhere you looked, people were suffering and tending to their wounds, with almost everyone having been outside when the black rain hit. Cots were laid out all along the floor, with a few higher-raised ones saved explicitly for the more substantially injured.

Among those people was Louis, who was the person that grabbed onto Harper in frantic desperation to survive. When she pushed him off, he was stampeded over by all the people attempting to get inside Alpha station. He was also the person that Bellamy and Kane went out to save, so I knew that he was trampled enough to refrain from walking, and due to that, he had been stuck on the ground, soaking in every drop of the black rain.

Harper had felt guilt-ridden that she refused to help him and blamed herself for his dire state because of the black rain. She hadn't left Louis' bedside since he was brought there, swelling blisters covering his body, making me want to cry. I had sat with Harper for some time, her head resting on my shoulder as I listened to her cry as she talked. She told me that she blamed herself, that if she hadn't pushed him off and instead helped him, he wouldn't be in this situation. There wasn't much I had said as I listened to Harper, hearing the tremendous guilt that came out of her voice, making my heart crack.

Now I had found myself sitting at a table, my good arm resting on it while my other was secure in the new sling made for me as I watched Bellamy patch up the suit he was wearing. Where he got it from, I don't know, but wherever it was, it had to be near the fire because you could see the fire damage in the suit. If it was any indication, duck tape was pretty much the makeup of the suit due to the amount of damage.

Bellamy planned to go outside, make it to the Rover, and drive to where Mark and Peter were, and his solution to fire damage done to the suit he found was duck tape. He covered every inch that was torn, shredded, or burned with duck tape, attempting to make it sealed shut and useful again. I sat, eyeing Bellamy, arguing all the possible ways this plan could go awry, but Bellamy wasn't too eager to listen to reason right now.

Bellamy stopped what he was doing and looked over at me with what seemed like a tested expression. "Come on, Jo."

"Look. I know this is important to you. But you going out in that storm is a dumb plan. With this suit, no less." I all but pleaded, standing up as my eyes turned wide, looking at him.

"This suit only needs to last long enough for me to get to the Rover and get them in when I make it." He declared.

"Bell, please, I can't—" I began but stopped when beyond Bellamy, I saw Kane walking up to us, and the further he got to us, the more the incredulous look on his face grew.

"Everyone else accounted for?" Bellamy asked, wrapping duck tape around his left forearm.

Kane placed his hands on his hips, looking incredulously. at Bellamy as he said, "Jaha and Monty reported in from Sector Five. All two hundred of their people are safe. The other sectors are still counting. We're down two."

"Not for long." Bellamy assured as behind us, where Louis lay, and Harper sat, coughing could be heard. Both mine and Kane's heads turned to see it was Louis, coughing so much it almost sounded like a bark, the instance reminding me of the damage black rain could cause and how I didn't want Bellamy going back out in it.