v: Willingness For Others

Nobody ever really wants to admit it, but it can suck caring for someone. Plain and simple, it can stink. And does anyone really even know why?

Maybe it could be because it made a person want to sacrifice everything for someone. Maybe it was how it made one question everything they ever knew, even if it was the simplest of things like breathing. Or perhaps because it made people want to put others' happiness over their own. It could even be due to the fact that it had one questioning their own morals and what lengths they would go to for their person. The power love can hold over a person has the potential to be so potent that it puts people at odds with themselves.

Bellamy found himself in that situation once more. He was at war with himself, and it wasn't even the first time. When Pike was alive, Bellamy was in a very similar situation; he had been at odds with himself over what he was doing because it made the people he cared for despise him. However, now, Bellamy was the root of the internal conflict. The war within was caused by his own mind, his own idea.

He kept telling himself this was how it was going to have to be because he knew the person walking alongside him. Bellamy knew that Jo wasn't going to let him go off by himself to get Raven — she was going to want to come, Bellamy was sure of it, and it wasn't just because that's what she had said; it was the type of person Jo was. Raven was her friend, arguably one of her closest; the mechanic had taken Jo under her wing in a way during the first months on the ground, so Bellamy couldn't blame her for wanting to help rescue her.

But he couldn't risk their lives; he just couldn't.

So he had come up with a way to keep them both safe, even if it was arguably the most morally questioning thing Bellamy had thought of in his twenty-three years alive. He just had to keep his family safe. He had to.

Jo loved their child and shouldered much of the burden when keeping them safe; understandably so, if she died, so did the baby. Bellamy knew that he would never fully grasp the relationship that had already blossomed between her and their unborn child. He saw the way Jo's motherly instincts kicked in almost instantly. And, of course, Bellamy cared for their kid — he loved them more than anyone could know — but he wasn't physically connected to them. He wasn't harboring their child in his belly; Jo was. She would do anything in her power to make sure that the little baby in her stomach was safe.

That was until Bellamy's life was the one being threatened. As soon as Jo knew that Bellamy wasn't safe, it was like everything was thrown out the window — she would risk her own life for Bellamy, which meant risking their child's life. That day on the ridge, when Azgeda's army was marching upon Arkadia, Jo gave up her position to try and save Bellamy and Kane, ultimately ending with her and the baby's lives being put at risk. And Bellamy couldn't have that. He could not put their lives at stake.

That's why, as awful as he knew it sounded, he was planning what he was.

The soon-to-be parents trekked through the hallways of the Second Dawn Bunker hand in hand with backpacks of their belongings hugging their shoulders. Dull fluorescent light-coated walls surrounded them as both hands were tightly clasped around the other like neither could hold on tight enough.

Bellamy looked down at his counterpart in amelioration — he adored Jo. There was something about watching her do the most mundane task that enchanted Bellamy, no scratch that everything she did captivated Bellamy's attention in a way. He didn't think Jo fully grasped the way she made him feel — like he was standing on top of the tallest mountain, soaking in that fresh breath of air. Only in this instance, Jo was that breath of air that kept circulating through Bellamy's lungs.

When she looked at him with the brightest smile, he had to return the gesture despite the conflict inside him; he couldn't deny Jo of this endearing moment, even if it were just a simple smile. This was the first time the two had been alone since... well, Bellamy couldn't remember the last time the two had the space around them to themselves. So he was basking in the very moment before the inevitable came.