32. Shockwaves

Dawn came with darkness and rain, the setting so cold and foreboding that it worsened the sinking feeling in the pit of Viviane's stomach. They were in Ryujin's territory now, though there had been no sign of the beast. But that wouldn't last long. The sea sang to her of the monster's movements. It lurked beneath the rippling surface, biding its time. It knew exactly where they were. They wouldn't catch it off guard.

    Viviane exhaled slowly, curling her nails into her palms. She reminded herself of all she'd told Jacob two days ago but it wasn't enough to calm her nerves. She couldn't even reassure herself with the remembrance of her magic.

    She would be limited in using it this time. A creature like Ryujin could not be controlled by one Mer alone, and if she tried to manipulate the sea once more, while harboring malicious intent towards one of its creatures, Cantata might strike her dead then and there.

    Viviane breathed again and twisted slightly when soft voices reached her ears. Amos and Emilia stood under the shelter of the helm stairs, the wind sweeping their words towards her. Emilia shook her head while Amos ran his thumb across her knuckles. "Tell him you'll serve as a gunner instead."

    "We all have a part to play, Angel. Jacob and Viviane want me to serve as a lancer, so that's what I'll do. It will be fine."

    "Not if your cough keeps acting up like it has been all morning."

    Amos grimaced and turned away to smother another one. Emilia's clenched jaw was visible through the misting rain. "I've dealt with this before. It didn't hinder me then and it won't hinder me now. What will hinder me is your lack of confidence."

    "I am confident in you," Emilia protested. "I just don't want you to take any unnecessary risks."

    "Every risk we take today is necessary if we're going to kill this monster, Emilia." She heaved a sigh and Amos pulled her into a tight embrace, hooking his chin atop her dark head. "If it makes you feel any better, I'll tell Jacob what's going on. He can decide if he wants me to remain a lancer or switch with someone else."

    "All right," Emilia mumbled. She lifted her head and brushed her lips across his. Amos released her after a moment and set off, likely in search of Jacob.

    Viviane hurried over to Emilia. "Is everything all right?"

    "Considering the circumstances, yes." Emilia faced her, every hint of fear gone from her features. "When do you plan to draw Ryujin out?"

    Viviane swallowed hard. "As soon as we reach the Venatrix's wreck. Jesp has already reported a debris field. We'll arrive in a few minutes."

    "I should grab my bag then. If Amos is down on the platforms, I suppose it won't do him any good to carry his." Emilia took a step forward.

    "Trust us," Viviane blurted out. Emilia glanced at her. "Jacob and I. We've done this hundreds of times before. Trust that we can do it again."

    "I trust that you'll do your best," Emilia replied. Viviane stiffened when the woman pulled her into a quick hug, then set off with a parting smile.

    Resolution hardened within her, driving away her fear and anxiety. Viviane squared her shoulders and raised her chin, staring across the sea in a challenge. All her life, her purpose had been to protect those who couldn't protect themselves. She would do so again for the friends she'd made aboard this ship, and she would find out what was driving Ryujin to such bloodlust.

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

    "We're nearly there." Caspian's voice carried a hint of a growl. "Are you ready for this, Jake?"