53. The Taste of Blood

"We have to help them!" Viviane exclaimed.

    She bolted towards the railing, but Caspian caught her arm. "Wait. Ryujin is distracted and we need to put more distance between ourselves and her. It's the only way we'll be able to leave the eggs and make our escape without giving her a chance to sink us. We can use this."

    Viviane jerked out of his grasp. "I refuse to watch more innocent people die."

    "Malcolm provoked her!"

    "Yes, but his crew is innocent. Do you honestly want to leave all of them to either drown or be killed?"

    Viviane shot a pleading look back at Jacob. Ryujin roared again and there was a sickening crunch as she slammed into the Devil's Maelstrom. Viviane didn't break Jacob's gaze, even when screams began to rise.

    "You go," Jacob said to his cousin. "We'll stay and help Malcolm."

    "What?" Caspian's mouth fell open. "Absolutely not. I'm not leaving you here. Ryujin will just kill you too."

    "She won't be able to catch me," Viviane protested. "I have a few advantages over her."

    Jacob's eyes widened. "You want to do this on your own?"

    "Yes. We're wasting time. Someone has to do something." She moved again, but Jacob chased after her. Viviane halted when he ducked in front of her. "There's no time for this, Jacob. I have to go!"

    "No, you don't. Malcolm brought this on himself. You don't have to risk your life for him and his crew." Jacob gripped her by the shoulders and she was surprised by the amount of fear that clouded his silvery-blue eyes. "Not on your own."

    "We promised that no one else would die," Viviane reminded him gently. "I have to do this."

    Jacob's throat bobbed. "You'll be heading right into Ryujin's sights. What if she attacks you? I won't leave. Not when there's a chance that I could lose you."

    "It's now or never, Viviane," Caspian called behind them. "We have to go."

    "Please." Jacob's grip tightened on her shoulders. "Viviane, please." She peered past him, catching sight of the Devil's Maelstrom.

    The ship was in full retreat, but Ryujin launched herself at it without hesitation. Cannons blazed as the crew tried to fight back and agonized screams overwhelmed every other sound. The gap between Ryujin and the Leviathan was steadily growing. All at once, understanding washed over her.

    Caspian was right. They needed this distraction to put a safe distance between them and Ryujin, but she wouldn't break her promise. She would not leave these men to die, no matter what the cost. "Trust me," Viviane murmured, and brushed a soft kiss to Jacob's lips. "I love you, but I have to do this."

    She didn't give him a chance to protest. Viviane sprinted towards the rails, unbuckling her sword belt and dropping her pistol as she went. She leaped off the side of the ship and shifted. She plunged into the churning sea and struck out for the Devil's Maelstrom, deaf to the shouts behind her.

•~ ❘ ✠ ❘ ~•

    "Let's go!" Caspian hollered. "Turn the ship around!"

    "No!" Jacob protested. "If she stays, we stay."

    "We don't have time for this. You heard what I said."

    "I did, but it doesn't matter. Viviane is right. We can't let them die and I won't let her face Ryujin by herself. We need to give her cover and bring the survivors on board. Ryujin won't touch us."