Chapter 5

The fear was clearly visible in Hope's face. Demons? They were in hell, of course there were demons there. But did he want to meet them? – No, of course not.

"Get to work. Your break is over," a voice shouted. That had to be one of the demon keepers.

The fallen angel walked through the line and saw that the souls went back to work. Something had disrupted the process and he would find out what that was. Soon he discovered the alleged cause. A blond boy sat huddled on the floor, his eyes closed.

"A newcomer?" he asked the human soul next to him. He nodded. But he is very young.

"Well, then you'll take him under your wing and show him the work you have to do." Again the human nodded and bowed. Suspiciously, he looked at the boy again. He would keep an eye on him.

When the fallen angel left, Hope breathed a sigh of relief. He had been able to feel from his aura that he was not human. Aura? Have I gone completely crazy now? But it had just been like that. The stranger had felt different, he couldn't explain it.

"Hope, can you get up?" Joseph asked kindly. He nodded and Joseph helped the newcomer up. Caringly, he took his hand and walked with him to the place where they would work. "Try not to stand out and most importantly, don't let them know you're blind. Just stick to me. I'll protect you as best I can."

"OK. Thank you, Joseph."

"Nothing to thank me, my little one."

Together, Hope and Joseph walked to a building about ten minutes away. There they went through a gate and entered a hall.

"This is the work hall. We work here in shifts. There are a total of ten sections, each with ten long pools. There are chairs at a distance of one yard, on which we sit down. We sift and wash soil to expose gems and minerals." Joseph tried to describe everything to him as precisely as possible.

"Hope, you have to open your eyes as long as we are not in our seats. I'll tell you if you can close it again," his protector warned him.

Hope obeyed, even if he didn't like it. He was pulled into a row by Joseph and sat down on the chair next to him. "In front of you is the sieve. It is integrated into the small river. You now have to take a handful of the earth to the left of the sack next to you and put it in. Then you push them back and forth until everything is gone and only the solids remain. You collect them and throw them into the container to the right of you. All right?"

Hope nodded. His eyes began to water. When he finally heard that he could close his eyes, he sighed. With his click sonar, he could roughly estimate his surroundings. He grabbed with both hands next to him and took some of the earth and placed it in the sieve, which was in a flowing channel. When his hands hit the cold water, he winced briefly. With pushing and pulling movements he pressed the earth through the sieve and soon he felt the pointed edges of remaining stones.

"That's enough, you can collect them," Joseph said, and Hope did as he was told. So they sat there silently for a while.

"Joseph, how long have you been here?" asked Hope. He did not like the silence that prevailed.

"I've been here for thirty years. That's very long for this section of hell," he replied.

Thirty years. That's really a long time. "What do you mean by this section of hell?" asked Hope curiously.

Joseph smiled and began to tell, "Hell is not what has been sold to us on earth. In reality, it is very similar to our world. There are a total of seven areas and each area is ruled by a hell lord. Demons live there in a similar way to what humans do, except that there is no electricity or technology here, here everything works with magic." Magic?