Chapter 29

Sereph had kept his word. The days with his human were beautiful and peaceful. He loved waking up with Hope's scent in his nose and seeing his blond hair glitter in the light. His mate was simply the most beautiful and wonderful creature that Fate could have chosen for him. Hope was the opposite of Sereph. The demon was dark, gloomy and reserved, while Hope was bright, cheerful and open-hearted. He was what Sereph could not be and gave the demon what he lacked.

"I love you, my crazy little human," he whispered in Hope's ear as he played with his blond hair.

His hair had become lighter and Hope's muscle mass had almost receded after feeding on Sereph a few times. As so often, his human lay on his bare chest and his breath stroked his skin. Sereph had needed some time, but now he was ready to tell his mate about his past. He would open up completely to him, show him every side of him, no matter how ugly it was. "Are you ready for a slightly longer story, Dhan?" he asked Hope.

Hope nodded at his chest and snuggled up again. "I am always ready for you, my heart."

This again put a smile on the demon's face. "Then make yourself comfortable. It all started long before I was born..."

Lidia lay panting on the floor. She pressed her hand on the heavily bleeding wound on her stomach, but she couldn't prevent her blood from flowing out of her body. This is probably the end.

She had escaped the attackers, but it wouldn't change anything. One of the attackers had hit her in the stomach with a sword before she killed him. Now she lay here in the white sand, hearing the peaceful chirping of birds. Macabre. She had imagined her end fitting her nature – a nightmare, darkness and screams. But she lay here in the bright sunshine and the surroundings were peaceful. She laughed softly. A beautiful ending.

She felt her breaths become shallower and the pain had stopped a while ago. Slowly, dark swaths began to circle around them. Was she hallucinating now? But the swaths circled faster and faster around them and took shape. A few bright white feet entered her field of vision.

Hell, I have never seen such beautiful feet. The toes were perfectly straight, the nails neatly cut and shiny. Carefully, Lidia turned her face and her gaze wandered upwards from the feet. She saw a beautiful woman wearing a robe of black smoke. Long, elegant hands with delicate fingers, as beautiful as the feet. Then she looked into the woman's face and froze. She had a graceful face, snow-white skin and in contrast black eyebrows and silky long, black hair that reached her hips. But most fascinating were her eyes. The eyes were black except for the white pupil.

Beautiful.

A smile formed on Lidia's lips. Who would have thought that shortly before her death she would lose her heart to a stranger? She tried to speak, but only blood came over her lips.

I want to touch her. To stroke her hand once over the skin to see if it was as soft as it looked.

The woman knelt in front of her and ran her fingers over Lidia's lips. "Hi Lidia, I've come to take you with me up," whispered a bright voice that sent some warmth into Lidia's cold chest.

I'll follow you everywhere.

The woman stopped and looked at Lidia questioningly. For a moment she saw a hesitation in her eyes. The stranger stretched out a hand to the side and from the black smoke formed a black scythe.

Is she... a soul reaper?

"Wait, Sereph. What is a soul reaper?" asked Hope. Actually, he hadn't wanted to interrupt his mate, but he had the feeling that he could only understand Sereph if he knew what these two women were.