Chapter 21

Within seconds, an image of the environment in his head emerged. Leto, as expected, had drawn two daggers and Palo had a sword. Everything as I anticipated. A whistle sounded. At that moment, several throwing knives that Leto had thrown at Hope flew through the air.

Hope felt the breath of air, heard the whistling. With a flowing movement, he deflected them with his katana. He didn't hesitate for a second and ran towards Palo. The Sylph demon was surprised by the direct attack. But with his ability to control the elements of fire and earth, the Sylph demon was his worst opponent.

Hope dodged several fireballs that raced towards him. Palo could only use his ability to a limited extent here, it especially does not work well in close combat. Within a few heartbeats, Hope had overcome the distance and attacked with a diagonal slash from the bottom left to the top right.

Palo intercepted it, but he acted exactly as Hope had planned. As soon as his katana hit the blade from below, he followed the impulse. He made a circular backward motion so that he landed over the sword. Then Hope drew his back with the sword along the blade to Palo's hand. This was the disarmament he had learned from Tori.

The demon had no chance, because the leverage effect literally catapulted the handle out of his hand and flew behind him into the barrier. Hope seized the moment of confusion. He grabbed Palo's right free hand, twisted his arm in, creating a 90° angle at the crook of his elbow. Then he attached the sword hilt of his katana to the back of Palo's hand and pulled the tilting lever through.

The demon flew to the right on his back without control. Hope's katana dug into the ground a few millimeters from his neck.

"You're dead," Hope said callously.

Palo couldn't move, but Hope didn't have time, because he dodged backwards when a knife flew towards him.

Leto attacked him alternately with both daggers. With one, he hit his left upper arm and blood flowed from the grazing wound. Hope snapped several times to capture all movements. Then he finally saw a gap. As Jaden had predicted, Leto's left hand made a more of a sweeping move after an attack than the right.

Hope dodged clockwise with a quarter turn from a frontal stitch of the left hand to the side and took it in a firm grip when moving backwards. At the same time, he kicked Leto's right hand, causing the dagger to fly away in a high arc. With an elbow strike on his left hand, he ended his disarmament and immediately took a few steps back to build distance. Now they were both unarmed.

Leto, however, didn't allow him a break. He extended his claws and activated his keen bird senses. He attacked Hope non-stop with punches and attacks with his claws. Hope felt the puff of air on his skin, spun out. The next one followed. Gradually, Leto stopped his attacks.

He just couldn't believe it. He hadn't landed a single hit. Each time he had been a hair's breadth off. How does he do that? Does he know my movements? That is not possible. It's as if he sees everything.

The other commanders watched spellbound, unable to believe what they saw. Hope straightened up.

"Time to finish it," he said, when in reality he was running out of breath. Sereph's blood helped, but slowly the air became thin.

He took his fighting position and told Leto to attack him. He knew that the demon made a very specific attack when he wanted to end something. Jaden had shown him.

Leto attacked. With his right fist he struck head-on in the direction of his face, hidden came the left hand, which aimed at his flank. Hope smiled. He stepped to the right, hit his fist with his forearm to the left bottom so that it slammed into the hidden attack and just went head-on.