Chapter 31

Warm tears dripped on Sereph's chest.

"That's so unfair," Hope sobbed.

Sereph stroked his back reassuringly. "Dhan, it's okay. It took me a while, but now I understand. If I had the choice to live forever or a century with you, I would make the same choice. My mothers were happy until the end. They lived a life without remorse with the woman they loved most."

Even though the words calmed Hope, it didn't ease the pain he felt. "Could you at least say goodbye?" his human asked him.

Sereph smiled. "Yes. Even if they didn't want to, I was with them at the end. They both fell asleep peacefully, arm in arm."

Another sob sounded and Sereph hugged his mate tightly. "Shhh, it's all right, Dhan." He pressed a tender kiss to his lips. He looks beautiful, even when he's crying. "Would you like to know what happened next?" he asked Hope, who nodded.

"Good. As I promised my mothers, I explored the world. It quickly became clear to me that I wanted to make a living as a warrior, because that was what I could do best. So I decided to join the army of the then hellprince Bael. There I proved my abilities over the years and quickly rose through the ranks. After only two centuries, I had the position of a commander. This is the position below a commander-in-chief who headed a division of the army.

"After a battle against Leviathan, another prince of hell at the time, we rested. My comrades-in-arms decided that we'd visit a brothel to reward ourselves. I always refused, but they persuaded me. I have never laid hands on anyone and wouldn't do so that evening. I would just sit in the hall and wait for the others.

Together we sat in a large room, ate and drank. The celebration was on its peak..."

"Oh come on Sereph, have another sip. We have won an important victory today!" his commander-in-chief said, who was already drunk.

He politely refused and, as always, was labeled a spoilsport. Sereph liked being together, but he didn't think much of feasts. He always wanted to be master of his senses, which is why he was reluctant to consume excessively. So he sat silently in the corner and watched the celebration. As a silent spectator, he enjoyed the company, that was enough for him. Many accused him of a coldness and darkness that he radiated but wasn't part of his character. However, he had little desire to change his already formed opinion.

In such moments Sereph missed his mothers, who had understood him without words. He longed for a friend he could trust, who understood him.

The voices grew louder as the door opened and a few scantily clad demons entered. Cheers and cheers rang out.

A sweet scent filled the room – Succubi and Incubi. They would keep the warriors company today, and most likely much more. Among these demons, Sereph noticed a demon in a light lilac robe. He had long hazel hair braided into an elegant braid and dark blue eyes.

"No. Was that Jaden?" Hope interrupted his demon.

Sereph smiled and nodded. "Yes, Dhan, that evening I met my best friend for the first time and believe me, it wasn't a pleasant encounter," he said with a smile. Then he continued.

When Sereph saw him, it wasn't his beauty that captivated him – it was the expression in his eyes. There was pain, hatred and disgust in it. A demon touched his thigh and smiled suggestively. Jaden's face remained expressionless, he just let it happen.

Sereph didn't know what had gotten into him at that moment, but he stood up and grabbed his upper arm. He pulled him up, which gave him a surprised face. "This one is mine tonight," he said to the others, who looked at him in surprise. Without another word or expression, he left the room with the incubus and went to a private room.