prologue

The great love shared between the Rogue Prince and the Peaceful Princess had been told thousands and thousands times before. Twin flames, they were called by Archmaester Gyldayn. Their union and love was pure and all-consuming.

Princess Rhaella Targaryen was the youngest child born to King Viserys I Targaryen and his Queen Consort Aemma Arryn during a warm summer night in the year 98 AC, just one year after their eldest Rhaenyra was born. She was seen as a blessing from the gods and brought hope to the couple for a large family of children. The fates were cruel, though, and she would be the last of their many children to live through the first few days of life.

Rhaella was doted upon by all those in the Red Keep. Rumors swept through the Seven Kingdoms over the years of her beautiful laughter and kind nature, earning her the moniker of the Peaceful Princess. She never angered, a smile constantly atop her pink lips.

Even by the time she was 5 years old, the servants whispered of how she would grow to be more beautiful than the Good Queen Alysanne. As she grew older, the whispers turned to truth. Her thick white-golden hair was always seen cascading down her back in gentle waves, her amethyst eyes glittered in the sunlight, and her pink lips would curl into the most breathtaking smile. Her uncle Prince Daemon would declare her the most beautiful maiden in the realm, and no one would argue. Decades after her death, she would be known as one of the Old Valyrian goddesses come again walking amongst men for her beauty was ethereal.

No one would know of the horrors that took place within her pretty head. Each time she closed her eyes, she was plagued with visions of fire and blood and ice and eternal winter. She saw dragons falling from the sky and the undead rising from the ground. She saw it all.

The only people she ever shared her visions with were her grandsire and her uncle. The Old King Jaehaerys did not know what to think when his grandchild and great-grandchild entered his chambers, a young Rhaella gripping fiercely onto her uncle Daemon's calloused hand.

"My dear girl, what bothers you?" Jaehaerys had asked her, letting Rhaella come to stand next to his chair. Out of all his grandchildren and great-grandchildren, Rhaella was his favorite. She was the image of his dear late wife, and he felt that Alysanne had sent Rhaella from beyond for him.

Rhaella peered back at her uncle, who gave her a reassuring smile. Jaehaerys had noted the exchange with a raised eyebrow. His grandchild Daemon was known to be harsh and conniving, always up to mischief in Flea Bottom. He was a constant pain in his side and yet here he was, gently encouraging his niece with a smile so genuine that Jaehaerys thought that he was growing senile.

"I have been having dreams, grandsire," Rhaella said to Jaehaerys, turning to look up at him with eyes that were so much like his Alysanne. "Bad dreams."

"What dreams, my child?"

"I have seen the deaths of dragons," she said ominously. Jaehaerys looked at her curiously, sparing Daemon a glance.

"Dragons?"

"The dragons will divide and the dance shall begin. It has already begun." Jaehaerys stared at Rhaella, his old, wrinkled hands fidgeting within the fabric of his sleeves.

"Grandsire," Daemon spoke up, drawing the Old King's gaze towards him. "She has seen Vhagar drown. She has seen visions of creatures with skin white as snow and eyes blue as ice." Jaehaerys stiffened, which was noticed by Daemon and Rhaella. The Old King studied Rhaella carefully, the girl looking down at her feet, too nervous to meet the eyes of her great-grandsire.

"My King," Daemon started again, his voice barely above a whisper. "I believe that she is Daenys the Dreamer come again. Her dreams are just as what Daenys's were described as—"

"We must never speak of it," Jaehaerys interrupted. Daemon paused, his mouth agape. "We must not worry the realm. The succession has only just been decided and our house continues to be divided. I fear that this would only worsen tensions and endanger—"

"But—"

"My child," Jaehaerys said, ignoring Daemon's protests as he turned back to Rhaella. "You may come to me with your dreams, should you so wish it. But I fear that these visions can never be made sense of, never unriddled, and it is best not to share them with others. What others would do to hear of these dreams is not something that we want to know."

"Not even Nyra?" Rhaella asked, peering up at her king with wide eyes. The thought of not sharing with her sister was unfathomable. The two sisters, separated by just a year, told each other everything. Their mother Aemma could only hope that their bond would continue as they grew older.

"Not even the princess," Jaehaerys confirmed. He looked at Daemon. "And you, my prince. I know of your penchant for mischief. But for the sake of your niece, I must ask that you keep this secret. Should others hear of her dreams, of her prophecies, the House Targaryen would be put into question. She would be put into question. People would wish her harm."

Daemon stared at the king for several moments before bowing his head. "I would never bring harm to her, my King. I will keep this secret." Jaehaerys nodded, pleased at his declaration. Rhaella curtsied to Jaehaerys and walked towards Daemon, reaching up to grasp his large hand in her own. Daemon smiled down at her, and squeezed her hand.

"Kepus, I wish to see Caraxes," Rhaella whispered, peering up at her uncle pitifully. Jaehaerys chuckled at the sight.

"Then we shall travel to the dragon pits," Daemon declared, bowing to his grandsire before leading Rhaella out of the King's Solar, regalling her with tales of his recent adventures with the Blood Wyrm. Jaehaerys watched as they disappeared from view, his mind swirling with thoughts.

He slowly stood from his seat and began to walk towards the library of the Red Keep, thoughts of Daenys the Dreamer and Rhaella heavy on his mind. Five days later, Jaehaerys passed in his sleep and Rhaella's secret was then known to only two.

A/N: here is the prologue! hope you all enjoyed :)

what are your thoughts on rhaella so far?

word count: 1064