eighteen

A month had passed since the wedding. Four weeks of pure bliss, love, and lust. Rhaenyra and Laenor allowed Rhaella and Daemon to stay in Dragonstone for their honeymoon while they returned to King's Landing with the rest of House Targaryen and House Velaryon, leaving the entire keep for Rhaella and Daemon.

The newly married couple had scarcely left their chambers, too wrapped up in the other to be bothered. The servants whispered with grins that the Peaceful Princess would surely be with child within six months time at the rate that they were going. Despite the gossip, they did leave their chambers. Occasionally.

It had been many years since Rhaella had been able to explore Dragonstone in its entirety, and Daemon was all too happy to lead his new wife around. They had visited the Chamber of the Painted Table at which Aegon and his sisters had planned their conquering of Westeros. They went to Aegon's Garden, to Sea Dragon Tower where Visenya Targaryen had resided, and to the treasure trove that lay below.

Countless rooms were filled with relics from Old Valyria and from their ancestors. Jeweled statues of dragons lined the walls peering down at Rhaella and Daemon with eyes that had seen centuries come and go. Old tombs filled the shelves detailing ancient rites and ceremonies and spells involving dragonglass. Spell-forged weaponry laid abandoned along with jewelry and tiaras from the dragonlords of old.

Rhaella had never felt closer to her ancestors than she did when she stood in those rooms. She could feel the heat emanating up from the dragons that residing below her in the caves of Dragonstone and smell their smoke. There was a pulling in her gut, as though something was telling her that this place was important. Ancient voices shouted in her ears, demanding her to pay attention, to remember them, to remember where her blood had come from.

"Can you feel it?" Rhaella asked one of the days they ventured into those rooms. She held up an old diadem made of Valyrian steel and rubies. She could envision it being worn by Queen Rhaenys a century before.

"Feel what, my love?" Daemon asked her, leaning against the doorway as he watched her pick through the treasures.

"The call of Old Valyria," she said softly, placing the diadem carefully on her head. She turned to face Daemon with a small smile. "I've never felt it stronger than it is in these rooms."

Daemon stared at her wordlessly, his heart beating fast in his chest at the sight of Rhaella standing in front of him with a diadem resting on her white-golden hair. The rubies matched her red dress perfectly, and Daemon was struck with the realization that she looked like a queen. 

"I wish that I could feel it as you do," he said softly, crossing his arms over his chest. Rhaella tilted her head and narrowed her eyes teasingly. She beckoned him to come into the room and he did with a dramatic sigh. She picked up a second crown, this one much larger and more masculine. 

She held it up to him and Daemon bowed his head, his short locks falling into his eyes as she gentled placed it on his head.

"Now we match," she said. Daemon smirked and kissed her.

Rhaella and Daemon had even journeyed down to the Dragonmount, peering into the dark caves from which smoke billowed out. Vermithor and Silverwing, the great mounts of the Old King Jaehaerys and the Good Queen Alysanne resided within the stone walls along with a few of the wild dragons.

They walked along the rocky beaches, taking in the salt that hung heavy in the air and the peaceful atmosphere that surrounded them. One day, they had spent nearly the whole down on the beaches, enjoying the water and their love. Rhaella would later regret it, though, for sand had gotten into places it should never be.

They had even ventured into the nearby fishing towns. They donned dark cloaks with hoods thrown over their white hair, walking around the docks hand-in-hand. Rhaella conversed with the fisherwoman while Daemon watched and they visited the taverns. It was the drunkest that Rhaella had ever gotten in her life and Daemon had to carry her back to where Caraxes and Gaelith had been left to roam.