twenty-two

Five years had passed since the birth of Baelon Targaryen, first grandchild of King Viserys I Targaryen. The Seven Kingdoms rejoiced at the newest generation of House Targaryen being brought into the world, and countless gifts were sent in celebration. Out of all the little trinkets and toys gifted, Baelon's favorite was by far the knitted, stuffed direwolf that Madelyn Tully, or, rather, Stark, had sent.

Baelon was the light of Rhaella's and Daemon's lives. They doted on him endlessly, taking joy in every gurgle and smile he would give as an infant. His white-golden curls grew even curlier and his once dark purple eyes lightened to the same violet shade of his father. He was beautiful and had all the servants wrapped around his little finger with his sweet smile and polite manners.

As the years passed, Baelon grew up to be a curious child. He always strived to learn new things and asked his parents countless questions about the world and their Valyrian ancestry, much to Rhaella and Daemon's delight. Baelon was more fluent in High Valyrian by the age of five than either Aegon and Helaena were and always spoke the ancient language when with his parents.

Baelon's dragon was from Gaelith's first clutch of eggs that had been laid a month after his birth. The older she-dragon had never laid a clutch of eggs before, according to the dragon keepers, though they all had suspected it would happen soon. Caraxes had continued to pursue Gaelith and in the last months of Rhaella's pregnancy when she and Daemon would go out flying together, it became clear that Gaelith had begun to return Caraxes's advances.

When the clutch had been discovered by the dragon keepers, they wasted no time in sending word to Daemon and Rhaella. The Rogue Prince and Peaceful Princess raced down to the Dragonpit and laid eyes on the eggs themselves, their eyes wide with wonder at the three eggs Gaelith had laid.

The couple picked out the biggest of the eggs for Baelon after hours of consideration. The egg was pitch black with hints of red scattered over the scales. They had kept the egg in Baelon's nursery and it had hatched when Baelon was 8 months old. The hatchling was large with dark red, almost black scales covering its body. When its eyes landed on Baelon's chubby infant face, the dragon let out a shrill screech in recognition of its rider. Daemon had proudly named the dragon Aegarax.

Baelon and Aegarax were deeply bonded from that moment on. In the short time that Aegarax was small enough to stay in Baelon's nursery with him, the dragon and rider were inseparable. Rhaella and Daemon had been amazed by the loyalty Aegarax held for Baelon and they were beyond pleased that their son was able to experience such a bond.

The dragon keepers were just as amazed, and they told Daemon and Rhaella that they would be comfortable with Baelon flying on Aegarax at just five years old, but Aegarax was still too small for a saddle. They predicted that by the end of the year, though, it would be possible.

Daemon and Rhaella were thrilled with the news and spoke at night as they laid in bed of how it would be to fly alongside their son one day. If all were to go well, Baelon would be one of the youngest if not the youngest dragonrider born to House Targaryen at the age of six.

When Baelon was two, Rhaella became pregnant again. While it was not thought to be possible, her stomach swelled even more than it did during her first pregnancy, and Mellos was quick to suggest that she was carrying twins.

Rhaegar and Aemma were born just minutes apart in the dead of night during summer, their births attended by Alicent, Rhaenyra, and Daemon. Their children were small but strong, and even just hours old it was easy to see that they were Rhaella's copies with their amethyst eyes and the wild curls of hair on their heads.

Rhaegar and Aemma were mischievous as they came, always up to some trouble or another. As babes, when one would cry, the other would cry and they would go back and forth for hours. It would drive Rhaella and Daemon ragged as they tried to calm one down only for the other to start up crying moments later. Daemon had teased Rhaella one night that they had gotten that trait from her as well as her appearance, which earned him a hard slap on the chest.