forty-nine

"The boat bore the Targaryen sigil, but no Targaryens were aboard. We questioned them, and those aboard said they were servants from Dragonstone, bearing gifts for the new Queen. They have gathered in the Great Hall."

As the words left the Velaryon soldier's lips, Rhaella and Daemon turned towards each other, their hearts sinking to their stomachs. News had spread of Rhaella's new claim to the throne. Was Rhaenyra declaring war?

Quickly, Rhaella, Daemon, Baelon, Rhaenys, and their advisors rushed toward the Great Hall. The rest of the children remained in Corlys's private solar after Daemon demanded it of them, the remaining Targaryens and Velaryons forced to sit and wait anxiously to find out if war had already arrived on their doorstep.

When the group came upon the doors of the Hall of the Driftwood Throne, Daemon, who had led the group, suddenly halted. Rhaella let out a noise of surprise as she bumped into his back.

"What is it?" She asked him worriedly, peering around his large form to stare up at the ornate doors separating them and the travelers from Dragonstone. Daemon's lips twisted into a grim frown, his grip on Dark Sister at his side tightening until his knuckles were white.

"You will stay out here," Daemon told her firmly. Baelon began to complain, but Daemon sent him a look. "All of you. If Rhaenyra sent them here, who knows what their purpose is? We-I cannot risk it."

"You cannot truly think—" Rhaella began to say, only to stop as Daemon turned to properly face her. His violet eyes were filled with fear and fierce determination. The breath was stolen from Rhaella's lungs. She had never seen him in such a way, in such desperation to defend her and ensure the safety of their family.

They did not know the purpose of the servants' visits, and they did not know what lengths Rhaenyra would go to if she felt threatened and offended by Rhaella's declaration back in the Dragonpit in King's Landing. It was a risk that they could not take.

"Very well," Rhaella conceded, and she stepped back. She stood between Rhaenys and Baelon, the three watching as Daemon ordered two soldiers sworn to their family to follow him into the room. The doors opened and shut quickly as Daemon and the soldiers went inside to confront their uninvited guests. Rhaella only saw those who had come from Dragonstone for less than a second as the doors closed shut, and her stomach churned when she realized she recognized the faces of the visitors.

She knew them. More than twenty servants were standing in the Hall of the Driftwood Throne. They were cooks, maids, stableboys, Valyrian priests, and guards. They had been in the service of the ancient Targaryen stronghold since Rhaella and Daemon first traveled to the keep for their honeymoon. They had cared for Rhaella and Daemon's family as their children had grown up in the stronghold, and Rhaella and Daemon had cared for them in turn. Betrayal pierced Rhaella's heart. All that history, kinship, loyalty, gone just like that as she assumed they had come to carry out Rhaenyra's orders, orders most likely against her.

She, Rhaenys, and Baelon stood anxiously outside the closed doors to the hall. Maester Lucas and Ser Park spoke softly to each other behind them, beginning to strategize how to utilize the ports of Spice Town and Hull to aid in the war effort. Ser Harrold stood solemnly just a step ahead of the Targaryens, standing guard before his queen.

Minutes passed, and no sound was heard from inside the hall. Rhaella gripped Rhaenys's hand tightly, her lips pressed together thinly as she restrained her worry. Then, the doors to the hall opened.

They all stood to attention as they gazed upon Daemon sauntering towards them from within the hall, a pleased expression pulling at his features as he made eye contact with Rhaella. Her eyebrows rose in wonder, and after Daemon's assuring nod, she walked into the hall to speak with the visitors for herself.