forty-one

As Rhaella stood on the balcony of her old chambers, looking out over the glistening waters of the Blackwater Bay below, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was making a mistake, that something was wrong. She just didn't know what it was.

Daemon and their children had left earlier that morning, leaving Rhaella, Aemma, Rhaegar, and Rhaenys alone in the pit of vipers the Red Keep had become. The goodbye had been tearful for them all, though for Rhaella most of all at the thought of being separated from most of her children.

It was quite a sight seeing the family of nine plus Rhaena, Baela, and Rhaenys hugging each other tight in the middle of the Dragonpit. None of them cared about the watchful eyes on them as they said their goodbyes, each of them feeling a strange sense of apprehension over being separated following the events of the day before in court and at dinner. However, it was for those very reasons that they had to.

The sudden execution of Vaemond in the hall of the Iron Throne had left House Velaryon uneasy, and Lucerys's reclamation of the seat of the Tides had caused an uproar on Driftmark. Rhaenys trusted Baelon, Rhaena, and Baela to manage High Tide and the greater Driftmark after such tumultuous events while she stayed in the Red Keep for Vaemond's burial preparations.

In a surprise to no one, Lucerys did not volunteer to travel to Driftmark with them, instead going back to Dragonstone with Rhaenyra and his brothers.

Daemon, Damion, Daella, Elaena, and Viserra would also travel to Driftmark. Neither Daemon nor Rhaella wished for their youngest children to stay in the Red Keep for longer than they had to, worried for their safety in the face of the rising tensions in their house. Mostly, they were worried about what trouble Elaena and Viserra would get into, fearing that their twin daughters would discover something they shouldn't and get themselves killed.

It was decided that Aemma and Rhaegar would stay with Rhaella and Rhaenys in the Red Keep. The twins had begged Rhaella and Daemon to stay as neither wished for the two older Targaryen women to be alone amongst the Hightowers. The Peaceful Princess and Rogue Prince had been persuaded by the twins, but as she stood alone in her chambers, Rhaella wondered if it had all been an excuse for the pair to mess around in King's Landing and Flea Bottom.

As soon as the rest of their family had taken flight from the Dragonpit, Rhaella and Rhaenys traveled back to the Red Keep while Rhaegar and Aemma claimed they had business to take care of in King's Landing. Rhaella didn't ask any questions, but as she watched the faint forms of the dragons of her family, she wished that she had.

Her twins were ten and seven, adults by all standards, yet she still worried as if they were still six name days having just claimed their dragons. Though, with all of the training Daemon had given them, she knew that she should be more worried about those who would dare to go against them.

There was a reason that people had taken to calling Rhaegar the Targaryen Fury, both a play on Vermithor's nickname of the Bronze Fury and of the fury Rhaegar held in his heart that was unleashed every time he picked up a blade. He got that from Daemon, Rhaella was sure.

Rhaella tried to push away her worries as she watched the dragons of her family disappeared from view. She watched as Darksmoke and Caraxes circled each other, flipping upside down and back again as they soared through the clear blue skies above the Blackwater Bay. Aegarax and Valyx were racing each other, flying in large looping circles around the Cannibal, the massive dragon's irritated roars echoing back to the Red Keep.

Rhaella smiled as she watched her family and their dragons slowly shrink and disappear from view. When she could no longer see them after a few minutes, Rhaella felt her smile drop, and the sense of impending doom rose within her. Ancient voices whispered in her ears, causing her heart to race. Something was wrong, she could feel it.