sixteen

Rhaella and Madelyn Tully walked arm-in-arm through the corridors of the Red Keep, enjoying the festive atmosphere that had settled over the lords and ladies of the Seven Kingdoms.

They had been tucked away in Rhaella's chambers for the better part of the day, giggling and gossiping as they both prepared for the grand feast to be held that night in Rhaenyra and Laenor's honor. The bond between the princess and lady-in-waiting had only deepened in the months that Madelyn had been in Rhaella's service, and the two considered the other one of their closest friends.

"Do you have any lords on your shortlist tonight, Madelyn?" Rhaella asked her friend curiously, nodding to a lord that bowed to her as they passed him, oblivious to the way he craned his neck to get a better look at them as they walked away.

"I have heard that Lord Stark is looking for a wife," Madelyn said, her face thoughtful, though her arm tightened around Rhaenyra's as her nerves grew. She was still unaccustomed to the attention Rhaella received from those around them. "I do not know much of the North, but he is very handsome. I watched him train yesterday in the yard with some of his men. I think that Ser Laenor and him even duelled."

"I will say that he is a little gruff," Rhaella warned, smiling at a couple of ladies standing near the entrance of the hall. The women flushed at the attention of the princess, slipping into cursties as they whispered to each other. "But he seemed kind to me when we spoke upon his arrival. I could introduce you?" Madelyn gasped softly at Rhaella's offer.

"You would do that?"

"Of course," Rhaella promised with a smile. "I think you two would look good together. Find me when the dancing has started and I will do it."

The two women came to a stop just outside the entrance of the throne room, the loud chatter of the lords and ladies already inside reaching out into the corridor.

Rhaella grimaced. They were late, which was partially her fault as she had forced Madelyn to let her do the Tully woman's hair. Her red curls looked beautiful in the hairstyle Rhaella had crafted, so her father's inevitable frustration would be worth it.

The Tully girl unwove her arm from around Rhaella's and took a step back to give the princess's gown one last look over.

"It is such a beautiful dress," Madelyn complimented as she circled Rhaella, her voice wistful as she reached down and carefully unfolded a bit of the hem.

Rhaella's dress, specially commissioned for the feast at Alicent's convincing, was a deep red color. It had one of the lowest necklines Rhaella had ever worn, a ploy to show off her cleavage somewhat tastefully. Little cap sleeves covered her shoulders, leaving the rest of her pale arms bare. Gold and black detailing decorated the skirt, little golden dragons embroidered along the neckline and the edge of her skirts.

"Thank you for your help with it," Rhaella said as Madelyn stood back up. The princess reached forward and gently grasped Madelyn's hands in her own, noticing her friend's nerves. "You look beautiful, Madelyn. I hope that you enjoy yourself tonight. I'm expecting you to save a dance for me."

"Of course," Madelyn promised with a small smile, squeezing Rhaella's hands in goodbye before disappearing into the entrance hall to find her brother and his new wife, who were in attendance.

Rhaella remained out in the corridor, much to Ser Harrold Westerling's amusement. The Lord Commander was stationed outside the hall while guests continued to arrive to the feast, giving him the opportunity to watch Rhaella wait outside the entrance, her hands twisting together in front of her as her confident facade she had put on for Madelyn faltered.

"They're expecting you inside, Princess," he called out. Rhaella jumped, turning her head to see the Lord Commander watching her with a gentle smile.

"I know, Ser, I just..." she trailed off, biting the inside of her cheek.