three

"Green replaces blue, the game begins anew."

The Heir's Tournament had started without fail the next day, opening with a declaration from King Viserys that Aemma had started her labors that morning. The lords and ladies of the court cheered loudly at the news, excited for the next Targaryen king to be born. None knew of the despair bubbling up within Rhaella as she sat with a fake smile on her lips. There was nothing to cheer for that day, Rhaella was certain of it.

"Green replaces blue, the game begins anew."

Rhaella's hands were fisted in the skirts of her pink and gold dress. When Aemma had seen her that morning, she had commented how it reminded her of the dress she wore to the Great Council of 101 AC, a fond memory of when her husband was declared the next King of the Seven Kingdoms. Before Rhaella could reply with questions of that fateful day, a contraction had rippled through Aemma and the gentle mother Rhaella knew let out a scream so terrible and pained that Rhaella felt as though her heart broke in two at the sound.

The maids had ushered her out after that, not allowing Rhaella to say goodbye to her mother as she writhed in pain on her bed. Rhaella had been brought down to the tournament by Ser Harrold Westerling, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. The man had been in the service of the Kingsguard since Rhaella had been born and he considered himself a fatherly figure in the lives of the two princesses, yet even he could not break through the dark cloud that had settled over Rhaella.

"Green replaces blue, the game begins anew."

When they arrived, Rhaella realized that Rhaenyra was absent, leaving Lady Alicent Hightower to sit by herself in front of her father, Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of the King. Rhaella had given Alicent the smallest of smiles before sitting down, Rhaenyra's empty seat separating the two. Laenor and Laena sat on Rhaella's other side, the twins eagerly greeting their cousin, who could only smile blankly in return.

"Green replaces blue, the game begins anew."

"Rhaella, what is it you are saying?"

Rhaella jumped, turning her stare from the joust to Laena, who reached across Laenor to place a gentle hand on Rhaella's knee. Images of a woman in a green dress flitted through her mind's eyes before vanishing, soon replaced by Laena's concerned features.

"Apologies, cousin," Rhaella breathed out, blinking rapidly. "I fear that I was a world away."

She could hear Rhaenyra next to her, the older princess having arrived late to the tournament. She had quickly sat down, sparing her dazed sister a concerned look before Alicent engaged her in conversation. Rhaenyra and Rhaella had not had the chance to speak for several days, too busy with their own studies and dragon riding. From what Rhaella could hear, Alicent and Rhaenyra were exchanging the latest court gossip.

"Today is going to be an exciting day," Laenor said to her, drawing her out of her thoughts with his usual wide smile. His white hair was pulled back with a leather tie, the corners of his eyes wrinkling as his smile overtook his face. "A new sibling for you to care for and love."

"A brother," Rhaella said sadly. "For a day."

"You believe the babe to be a son? That is wonderful!" Laenor exclaimed, not hearing the last of her words. Rhaella smiled more genuinely at his words. Her cousin always found the light in the darkness, his constant enthusiasm contagious.

"Have you picked out an egg?" Laena asked her curiously. Rhaella nodded, her smile growing. Laena, while without a dragon of her own, was just as interested in the dragons and the lore surrounding them as Rhaella and Laenor were, perhaps even more so.