twenty-four

"Come on, Rhaenyra!" Rhaella urged, holding tight to her sister's hand as Rhaenyra beared down. A scream ripped through her older sister at the familiar pain and a second later, a shrill cry filled the room.

Rhaella watched on happily as the bloody and crying babe was put in Rhaenyra's arms. She brushed a cloth over her sister's forehead, wiping away the sweat that had started to drip down.

"Oh, he is beautiful, Nyra," Rhaella said with a proud smile, peering down at the newborn's face. The babe's eyes were closed and his mouth screwed up tight as he became acclimated with his new world, and Rhaella could not help but giggle at the expression.

Rhaella's hand came down to rest against her large stomach, thinking of the babes she was carrying. Twins again, if Maester Gerardys was to be believed when he gave them the news on Dragonstone before they left.

The small family had stayed on Dragonstone for four years before coming back for the birth of Rhaenyra's youngest. Daemon had protested against the return to King's Landing, but he had been outvoted easily.

Rhaella had promised Rhaenyra to be there for her for every birth, the memory of their mother ever present on their minds every time they were with child. Baelon, Rhaegar, and Aemma wanted to see Aegon, Helaena, Aemond, and Jacaerys again, and Damion just wanted to go on an adventure and go against Daemon.

Baelon was now nine, almost ten, Rhaegar and Aemma were seven, Damion was four, and their youngest, Daella, was two, and Rhaella was less than a month away from delivering their next.

"He is beautiful," Rhaenyra affirmed, running a finger over the babe's dark locks fondly. Rhaella's smile faltered at the sight, as did those of the midwives in the room. Another babe with dark hair, another black sheep in a family of white.

A second later, Rhaenyra violently flinched, her hold on the babe tightening.

"The afterbirth, Princess Rhaenyra," one of the midwives explained, taking her position at the end of the bed once again. Rhaella quickly took the babe from Rhaenyra's arms as they prepared to deliver the afterbirth. She muttered soft words of encouragement to her elder sister as she cradled her newest nephew gently in her arms. The babe opened his eyes, revealing a familiar set of hazel orbs.

The doors to the birthing chamber suddenly. The sisters turned to see one of Alicent's ladies-in-waiting standing before them with an embarrassed sort of expression.

"Queen Alicent requests that the babe be brought to her," the woman said. Rhaella stared at her, shocked. Rhaenyra groaned softly beside her.

"The birth is not finished," Rhaella said, holding the babe closer to her. The woman grimaced, and Rhaella sighed, bowing her head.

They had only been in King's Landing for less than two days and already she had been updated by both Alicent and Rhaenyra on what had happened during her time away. The tense relations between the former friends had only worsened without Rhaella's presence, and Rhaella and her family was once again thrust in the middle of it.

A rustle of fabric beside Rhaella caught her attention and she turned to see Rhaenyra beginning to stand up with the help of the midwives.

"Rhaenyra, no," Rhaella said immediately, shaking her head resolutely. "I will bring the babe to her. You need to finish the birth and rest. You cannot—"

"I can and I will," Rhaenyra cut her off shortly, wincing at the pain that rolled over her as she stood on her own two feet. "She will not get any satisfaction from you bringing the babe."

Rhaella clenched her jaw as she carefully gave Rhaenyra her child. The door opened behind them, revealing Laenor.

"A boy, I just heard the news," he said, walking over to them. He pressed a quick kiss to Rhaella's temple before setting himself at Rhaenyra's side. Rhaenyra ignored him, beginning to walk out of the chambers. Rhaella shook her head and quickly followed after her sister, wrapping her arm tightly around Rhaenyra's to help keep her up right.