Chapter 20: Sorrow and Pain

"The cubs are coming you moron!" Rani screamed. Kion panicked. He picked her up and brought her to the tree.

"Ananda! Rani is giving birth!" Kion shouted. Ananda, Sahasi, and Baliyo woke up. "Set Rani here," Ananda instructed. Kion set Rani on the Royal Rock. Kion stood there. "You need to leave," Ananda said to Kion, Sahasi, and Baliyo. "But-" Ananda cut Kion off. "It's a rule. Now go!" They left. Rani screamed.

Kion paced back and forth. "Kion, it's going to be fine," Sahasi said. "Why can't I help!" Kion asked. "Because in the past, when males tried to help their mate give birth, um, they blacked out, and their mate died," Sahasi explained. Kion stood there shocked. He heard a blood curtling scream from Rani. He sighed and laued down. He rested his head on his paws. "I feel so useless," Kion sighed. "That's how I felt when Ananda gave birth to Rani and Baliyo," Sahasi said. Rani screamed again. Kion pinned his ears to the back of his head.

Rani screamed. "It's ok Rani," Ananda said. Rani cried. She blacked out. "No," Ananda whispered. She tried to get Rani up. "Rani! Cmon! Wake up!" She shouted. Rani didn't. Ananda saw a cub. She looked at it. She sighed. It was super tiny, and unconscious. Rani had a miscarriage. "I'm so sorry, I failed you Rani," Ananda nuzzled her daughter. She set the cub in Rani's arms. Rani was still passed out. Ananda walked out. "Kion, you can come in," she said sadly. Kion bolted in.

When Kion went in, he saw Rani. And she looked dead. "Rani!" Kion shouted. He ran to her. He saw a tiny cub in her arms. It was a boy, and he was unconscious. Kion looked at Ananda. "What happened! Is Rani dead!" Kion shouted. "Kion, Rani is alive but the cub isnt," Ananda looked down sad. Kion roared and pounced on Ananda. He had fury in his eyes. He saw the sorrow is Ananda's face. He realized what he was doing, and got off her. He started crying. Ananda hugged him. "Im so sorry Kion," Ananda apologized. "What happened?" Kion asked. "Rani passed out, and the cub didn't make it," Ananda explained. She nuzzled him. Kion walked over to Rani. He picked up the unconscious cub. He layed down, and put the cub on his paws. He started licking him. Kion nuzzled him. Rani started to shift. Kion set the cub down, and ran to Rani. She opened her eyes.

"What happend! Is the cub ok?" Rani asked. She saw Kion sad face. She looked at Ananda. "Rani, you had a miscarriage," Ananda sighed. Rani burst into tears. She covered her face with her paw. Kion nuzzled her. He cried as well.

They set the cub in a hole they dug out, and covered it up. Rani sighed. She nuzzled under Kion's chin. Kion felt tears going down his chest. He rested his chin on her head. Sahasi and Ananda hugged them.