62 - stay safe

They tried to keep the baby a secret but as things always went with Emmy and her secrets, Remus was the first to find out.

It started by finding her asleep on the sofa when he arrived then uncharacteristically turning down a glass of wine with her dinner. That, and the fact that when he'd stopped at the pub to say hello to Sirius before heading up to the flat for dinner, his friend couldn't keep the grin off his face.

"So, how many weeks are you?" he asked blithely as she carried the dishes over to the sink. They landed with a clatter as she whirled round.

"Really? That easy to work out?" she exclaimed.

"It wasn't too hard," he laughed.

"You would've been in a lot of trouble if I wasn't pregnant though, asking how many weeks I was," she replied jokingly as she flicked the back of his head. "But I'm almost eight weeks."

"So you're due at the end of December?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"I'm so happy for you, Emmy," he replied, a crooked smile lighting his face.

"Thanks, Rem," she grinned, hugging him tightly.

"That little one is going to be so loved," he murmured, thinking of all their friends who would be ecstatic with the news.

"I know, I can't wait for everyone to meet them."

"When do you find out if it's a boy or a girl?"

"We've got an appointment in St. Mungo's in a couple of weeks, it's still super early anyway. Sirius is convinced it's a girl though," she smiled.

"What do you think?"

"I can't tell," she laughed. "I don't mind either way."

As they washed up the dishes, Remus became more quiet.

"Something on your mind?" she asked carefully.

"I just wondered, I mean I'm sure you've thought of this..."

"What is it, Rem?"

He cleared his throat, "Well what are you going to do if the baby is born like... well, like us."

Emmy's heart was heavy with the weight of his question.

"I mean there's no way to make sure completely, but I'm going to speak to Professor McGonagall at the meeting tomorrow night about it and I've asked Brianna to find some wolfsbane for the next few full moons while i'm pregnant. She doesn't know that of course but I guess she'll find out in the end."

"And the mission next week? You're still planning on going?"

She frowned, "Of course I am. Besides I'm only there for medical back up anyway. I'm staying in the woods around the manor, unless something goes horribly wrong."

He nodded vaguely, not convinced by her answer.

"Don't try to stop me," she warned.

"I'm not!" he retorted. "I just want you to know that I'd much rather you stay away. I mean, I've wanted that since the start of the war but even more now that..."

"I know, I know," she sighed. "Sorry, I'm just feeling really confused by the whole thing, I'm not even sure I want to go either."

They sat in silence for a while, fire crackling in the hearth as they mulled over steaming cups of tea.

"I'm so proud of you," he said quietly.

She turned to look at him, surprised at his sudden sentimentality.