butterflies

here's a little short chapter, hope you enjoy :)

prepare for the upcoming chapters that will be much longer!

The night was as still as ever, only the sound of crickets chirping and the melody of frogs croaking filled the air. It was a full moon that night, making the land light up with a silver glow.

Two figures were laying down on the grass that took over the hill with flowers scattered everywhere. They let the breeze brush over them, as they stared into the stars.

"You see those stars clustered over there?" Elrik pointed in the far right, "That constellation is called Hercules."

Xanthous looked at Elrik with admiration, "You sure know a lot about stars."

Elrik let out a chuckle, "You'd be surprised on how long I've stayed in these parts of the forest."

It grew quiet, I wouldn't say an awkward silence. But to Xanthous, his heart was thumping up and down at full speed in his ears loudly. It was all he could hear aside from the critters making noise in the background.

Despite how close the two have gotten, he still always grew nervous. His stomach would always make all these twists and turns that grew unbearable for Xanthous to handle at times. But, that's not what was bugging him. It's as if a voice in his mind was telling him something that caused Xanthous to shake with fear.

Elrik playfully punched Xanthous in the arm, "You look as if you would rather be with anyone else but with me-"

Panic rushed through Xanthous as he stood up, "Wait no, Elrik! I love hanging out with you, i'm sorry-"

"Xan, I'm just kidding!" Elrik chuckled softly, "But seriously, are you okay? You seem like you have a lot on your mind right now."

"It's just.." Xanthous laid back down, avoiding eye contact as much as possible. "I'm thinking."

"About?"

...

"You."

This made Elrik freeze in his place, he could feel heat coming to his cheeks.

The world went still, even the melody of the critters went quiet. The grass brushed past them whenever the sky gave a wave of cool breeze. The only thing keeping him warm was the way his face is heating up with blush.

As Elrik was going to speak, Xanthous had beat him to it.

"Whenever I see you, my stomach always erupts with this weird feeling every single time. I like to describe them as butterflies, if you please. Butterflies flutter in the sky, like how my stomach does when you even take one glance at me. Just by the mention of your name makes me smile like a huge dork, I get all giddy by just the thought of you,

I can't' describe this feeling for some reason. I would ask the Fairy Council but I can't even speak to them about this because I'm nervous! I like to call the feeling butterflies. I mean it fits, right? An-"

Xanthous got cut off by Elrik grabbing his hands which really wasn't helping how he felt right now.

"Xanthous, that's called falling in love."

"What..?"

Elrik chuckled, "You literally just told me the definition of falling in love, you do know what that is, right?"

"Well, yes I do. It's just hard to admit I basically confessed my feelings for you." Xanthous says while avoiding eye contact.

Elrik stayed silent and looked down, feeling his face heating up by the second. Before he leaned in, he whispered for only Xanthous to hear...

"I love you too."