"i'm getting away"

Sara

"Papa, please!" I cried. "STOP!"

"IT'S YOUR FAULT THIS HAD TO HAPPEN!" Papa yelled into my face.

I noticed tears going down his cheeks. I cried into my hands. His hard slaps were still burning on my back. He snatched the notebook from my hands, and he angrily threw it to the floor, flattening it under his shoe. I could feel the stomps vibrate the floor.

"No!" I scrambled to the floor to retrieve my book.

"Why do you care so much for his stuff? He's gone!" Papa shouted.

"Because of you!" Enraged, I stood up, grabbed the notebook and ran out the house.

I could hear his footsteps behind me. Coming closer, and closer. I ran as fast as I could, my feet pounding on the sidewalk. I looked over my shoulder and saw him disappearing in the distance. I kept running anyway. Tears raced down my cheeks. My heart pumped faster than ever.

I'm getting away.

I closed my eyes, and ran faster. I bumped into something, or someone, and fell on the ground hitting my head. Everything went dark, and I could hear voices whispering and talking. I felt arms under me and I was lifted up. Then, numbness crawled up my body, starting at my toes. After a while, I couldn't feel anything.

But his voice rang in my ears, the words he said still like a bullet to the head. His face drenched in sweat, the image of his loud feet stomping all over the notebook in my mind. And when I thought the memories were over, I was wrong.

My vision went dark, the numbness never leaving my body.