robbers

★ HARRY ★

August 2nd
1997

My hands nervously tap against the steering wheel, anxiously waiting for everyone to get back on the bus. They all ran to grab snacks for the journey ahead. A long drive to Oregon, our first show outside of California. I'm excited to see more of this country, but with everything going on, it's kind of putting a tamper on the excitement.

I haven't had a single sip of alcohol all day. Using driving to take my mind off of it, and keep myself straight for the day. I won't slip up this time, I won't allow myself to. Though, I am overly agitated today. Everyone's voice is annoying me today, their loud breathing and forced laughter. Everything is pissing me off.

The door to the bus is thrown open and everyone skips on, immediately rushing to the back room.

"I got you a coke for the drive," Lorelai mutters from beside me, handing me a cold glass bottle.

"Thanks baby," I mutter between clenched teeth, not wanting to snap at her today.

Instead of joining everyone in the back, she sits down in the passenger seat. I hear her seatbelt snap into place, watching as she gets situated with her sunglasses over her eyes and a book in her hands.

"What are you doing?"

"Reading?" She drags her sunglasses down her nose, her crystal blue eyes staring back at me.

"I thought you'd wanna be in the back with everyone else."

"Do you not want me up here?" She asks defensively.

Don't fuck this up.

"What?-No, of course I do."

"You sure?" Her lips curve into a sarcastic smile.

"Yes, baby, I'm sure." I sigh, hoping my words come off as truthful.

I hesitantly place my hand down on her thigh, using my thumb to rub reassuring strokes into her exposed skin. Her face snaps to mine at my actions, a small warm smile resting on her lips. I muster up the best smile I can, taking my hand away for just a second to put the bus into drive.

When I place my hand back down onto her leg, she takes my hand into hers, squeezing it gently. I take our conjoined hands to my lips, kissing the back of her hand gently.

This isn't too hard? I think I can do this, right?

★ LORELAI ★

We've been on the road for a couple hours and my ass is killing me.

I've been trying to finish this book, but I keep getting distracted. As you leave California, the greenery outside becomes insane. So many forests and small towns, it's hard to look away. The quiet hum of the radio was also a distraction, adding the perfect ambience to the drive.

Harry's hand was also a distraction. Not in the way you may assume though.

It lays tense on my leg, almost like he doesn't know what to do with it. In fact his whole body seems tense, beads of sweat sitting in his hairline. I'm not sure what is up with him today, though I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that he can't drink while he's driving. It hurts to see the lack of a drink having this kind of effect on him.

I wish that he would just talk to me about what is going on in his head. I would be there to listen and try to help, but he consistently shuts me out. I know that he doesn't like to be vulnerable upfront, but in this case I feel like it's needed.