new years day

★ HARRY ★

December 3rd
1997

"Two minutes! Two minutes till showtime!"

I'm going to throw up.

I've never been more nervous for a performance in my entire life. This could make or break the future of all of our careers. If one thing goes wrong, that's it. We'll be critiqued by the media until we are in our graves. We never had this sort of press when we were signed to FM, so why now? I get we created buzz with the articles about why our contract was ripped up, people swooning over a romance and the drama of it all. We did things right this time, and it's all worked out in our favor so far. But this performance, our first performance on late night television, could end it all right here. Tonight decides if people will continue to buy our albums, continue to support us. Or if they will hear what we have to offer, and leave.

Like I said, I'm going to throw up.

"Okay, places, everyone places!" A man I forgot the name of scrambles around backstage, making sure everything is perfect for us. "Okay! Conan will introduce you all, the curtain will come up and you go right into the song! We'll cut for commercials and you'll all make your way over to the couch for the interview portion. We want a good show, so give us all you've got! We're on in fifteen-fourteen-" He disappears from behind the curtain, the crowd erupting into cheers as the show goes live.

"Welcome back everyone! Tonight we've got a very special performance from an up and coming band who is breaking headlines with their touching stories. Before we get into the interview, they're here to perform a song from their new album 'Chasing the Stars'. Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for Painted Lady!" Conan's voice rings through the entire building as the curtain drops.

The backing track of 'Only Angel' begins, the harmonics of the choir sounding out through the speakers. I keep my head low, feeling the energy from the crowd, waiting for the beat to drop and the spotlight to shine down on me. Niall begins playing the familiar chords on his piano, the song slowly building along with my heart beat. Just as the song breaks down, I grab the mic and begin.

"Hey! Hey!"

The entire band chants a 'whoo hoo' into their microphones, the bright lights being perfectly in time to the beat of the song. Mitch goes hard on his guitar as I trot around the stage, dragging the microphone stand along with me. I stare out into the small crowd, but it's all shadows from the spotlight shining in my eyes. That eases my nerves a bit.

"Open up your eyes, shut your mouth and see
That I'm still the only one who's been in love with me
I'm just happy getting you stuck in between my teeth
And there's nothing I can do about it"

I start the song, hearing the crowd clap along to the drum pattern. I let it all go, singing my heart out into the microphone. Occasionally I'll stare into the camera lens that follows my every move, but it also distracts me greatly.

"Broke a finger knocking on your bedroom door
I've got splinters in my knuckled crawling cross the floor
Couldn't take you home to mother in a skirt that short
But I think that's what I like about it"

My voice cracks and breaks into the microphone, adding the rock element of it all. Harlow smacks down on her drums just as the chorus starts.

"She's an angel (whoo-hoo)
Only angel (whoo-hoo)
She's an angel (whoo-hoo)
My only angel (whoo-hoo)"

-

"Wow! Just wow! Incredible!" Conan walks up to our small stage at the end of our performance, shaking my hand.