𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

A knock on my front door drags me out of bed the next morning

A knock on my front door drags me out of bed the next morning. Kicking off my covers, I stroll through the kitchen and hallway and open the door.

"Harper!" My sister screeches as she stands there with her hands on her hips.

"What?" I walk back through the hall and she follows me into my apartment. It's like, only seven in the morning. Does she expect me to be dressed and ready for the day?

"We have to leave. Oh my god! Have you even packed? I bet you haven't," Heidi storms in front of me, into my bedroom. I throw myself down on the sofa, remembering that today is the day we're going up the Blake and Winter's house (mansion) in Wiltshire.

I guess my mind is a little hazy. Me and Albie ended up drinking a bit too much at lunch yesterday and going back to mine—didn't want to run the risk of bumping into George.

Checking the time on my phone, I see that it is only twenty past seven in the morning and that Albie only left a couple hours ago.

"Harper Juliet Hayes!" My sister shouts from my room. Rolling my eyes, I push up from the sofa and into my room.

Astrid left yesterday evening with her parents to go back to Stockholm for Christmas. Mia also left a few hours after her to spend the rest of the month in the Philippines with her family.

"Oh, what do you want now?" I groan, grabbing a towel and walking into my en suite.

"I want you to get dressed and ready to leave in the next twenty minutes," Heidi complains, grabbing my suitcase from my walk-in wardrobe and setting it on my bed. I watch as she throws a few things in before I lock the door of my bathroom and have a quick shower.

Once I've freshened up a bit, I get dressed, choosing the Tala crystal-embellished cotton and cashmere-blend mini dress from Retrofete, Gucci monogram-print sheer tights and slouchy suede ankle boots from Manolo Blahnik.

My sister's already packed half my case so I throw in a few extra bits before zipping it up and spending another twenty minutes in front of my bag wall. "Harper!" Heidi calls for the tenth time from the living room.

"Hang on! I'm choosing a bag," I shout back, picking up a Dior and then putting it back.

"Tweed Chanel, now let's go!" Heidi shouts, reading my mind. God knows how she knows it goes perfectly with my outfit--must be some sort of sister telepathy. I grab the bag, and my suitcase and rush out to the hallway where Heidi's waiting.

"God, Harper," Heidi looks me up and down as we walk toward the lift. "I'm so sick of you wearing black."

I flick my hair away from my face and take a deep breath. "I'm still mourning, leave me alone."

"Alright, whatever," my sister sighs, unlocking her Range Rover parked on the curb.

We take the just over two hour drive up to Wiltshire and surprisingly, I don't feel anything other than excitement for Christmas that's in two days. On the way up, we listen to Christmas music and catch up with our lives.