𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐

Last few weeks have been calm

Last few weeks have been calm. Not much has been going on. Nearly came under the table at the charity auction, only didn't because Harper snatched her hand away when I started distracting her. She did end up getting the painting, though. I let her have that one.

It's the dreaded Easter Sunday lunch at Mums today. Everyone's there, obviously. My parents have got a thing for feeding the five thousand. Although, Astrid and Mia both had to go to their parents for the weekend. Charlie's coming, probably wouldn't be able to keep sane if he wasn't.

Just finished at Church, me and Alb go together. Charlie normally comes too but he was busy this morning. Mum makes Dad and Primrose go as well. I don't know why we do it. Maybe to repent our sins. Outweigh the bad with just a little bit of good?

Harper went to her new house for dinner a couple weeks ago, must've been heated because she's been a bit distant since but I won't bring it up. She knows she can talk to me if she wants.

I pull up into the driveway, can already hear people talking away in the garden. I go round the side, through the gate and onto the patio. Mum and Theo are sitting on the garden table and chair set underneath a big umbrella. It's really not that hot but the spring sun is fucking bright.

"You alright," Theo lights a cigarette, pats my back. "I got you an Easter egg."

"Are you pissing around?" I laugh, kiss my mum on the cheek, and sit on the edge of the cushioned sofa next to her.

"No, I'm fucking not. We've all got Easter eggs this year," he smiles, taking a puff of his cigarette.

I shake my head. Through the open kitchen glass doors, I can see my dad, Primrose and Beau arguing near the stairs. Dads shaking his head, Beau's trying to explain something and Primroses' face is bright red.

I nudge my mum. "What's going on there?"

She sighs, takes a mouthful of her tonic water. "She won't talk to me. Only Beau knows what happened. Something that happened at school before they broke up for Easter."

I nod, take my tin of rolled joints out of my pocket and go around to the front. Mum hates it when the smell sticks to her clothes. I spark it up, wondering when Harper will get here.

"Can I try some?" I look to the left, Beau's coming out of the front door. "Of that? Can I have some of your weed?"

"What and have your dad batter me black and blue? No chance, son. Jog on." I smile, shake my head. He's my cousin, I know that but he is the spit of Carter. Looks, personality, all of it. Funny, though, because they're also nothing alike.

"Oh, please?" He puts his hands together, looks up at me with big blue eyes. "Just a little, tiny, harmless puff." He puts his thumb and forefinger together, leaving a slither of space between them.

"If you tell me what's going on with my sister, I'll give you a whole one to yourself." I lie, rock back on my heels.

Beau's face turns bright red. "Sorry, but I can't do that." He turns on his heel, doesn't get far because I pull him back by the collar of his Ralph Lauren polo.