𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏

Christmas morning is fucking chaos

Christmas morning is fucking chaos. The fun, warms-my-stone-cold-heart kind of chaos. The floor of the living area is knee-deep with wrapping paper and presents, Haysie is sitting comfortably on my knee and Alb's got a face like a slapped arse.

No one says anything about me and Harper—they know we're on right now so that's all that matters. After the snowball fight, Albie stormed inside and didn't come out of his room for the rest of the night.

Harper and the rest of us stayed in the living room. It was like old times, actually. Me and Haysie sitting together, her legs resting on my lap and a blanket draped across us.

It was easy than expected to get her not to go back to Alb but I suppose the nightmare played a part. Sort of pulled us a bit closer together.

"Georgeee," Primrose whines, sitting on the floor by my feet. "Can you set this up please?" She hands me the box of her new iPhone.

Christmas is always a big thing in our families. Watches, cars, bags, jewellery have all been gifted this morning. Didn't actually get Haysie anything but I do have something planned for when we get back home.

She didn't get me anything either, I guess she didn't expect us to be together again. Alb got her that bracelet a week before coming up here so he didn't get her anything.

We're nearly down to the last few piles when Heidi hands a box over to Harper. "This is for you," Heidi reads the label out.

Harper takes it, squirming in my lap from sheer excitement. She's already unboxed probably hundreds of thousands worth of shoes and clothes and makeup and hair supplies from everyone else.

She tears through the paper, a black and white box coming into view. "Oh, look at that!" She shucks off the lid and rips through the dust bag.

Holding up a bird cage-looking bag, she spins it around to show everyone all the details. "Aren't I just the luckiest girl?"

"Who's it from?" Her mum takes the bag, studying every aspect of it. I'm guessing it's a special bag.

"That's the fucking Runway Bird Cage Minaudière handbag!" Winter squeals, jumping up to admire the bag.

"It's from me, obviously," Harper snatches the bag back, placing it back in the box carefully like she's laying a baby down in a cot.

I stare laughing as does Heidi. Trust Harper to buy herself a twenty-five grand bag, wrap it up herself and place it under the tree.

Once all the piles are opened, I help with everyone else with putting the wrapping paper in bin bags and clearing all the boxes away.

At around midday, caterers start filling the kitchen area to prepare dinner. It's not every year we have a catered dinner but when it's all fifteen of us, it's quite difficult for mum to just cook dinner by herself.