𝐓𝐨 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐆𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞

To Rosie,

Fuck, I don't know where to start but not swearing might be good. Anyway, being stuck in this cell for twenty-three hours a day is eating me alive. I've spent a lot of time thinking, Rose and I promised myself I'd only do this once. I love you. I never got the honour of meeting you and I will live with that killing me every day. At night, when I'm alone, I can see your face. Your brown hair and eyes, my nose, your mum's round face and plump cheeks. You were perfect. Your uncle, Albie, told me what happened to you. That changed me. Having a daughter was something I never planned and I don't think it was something your mum expected, either. But, God, Rose, you lit her up—your mum. She was drowning before you threw her a life raft. You'll never know how much you meant to me. How every day got better because I knew I was one day closer to meeting you. There will forever be a Rose-shaped hole in my world. You changed my life and I didn't even know you—that's how big of an effect you had on me. Being a dad will now be in the books for me because of you and there aren't enough thanks and kisses and hugs in the world I can give you.
But I will give your mum an extra kiss and cuddle every night for the rest of my life.

I'm going to put this letter in a box now, Rose. I'm not going to open that box. And one day, I'll meet you and I'll give this to you.

I will forever and always hold you in my heart, Rose. I'll be seeing you, baby.
Yours forever and always,
Dad x