𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗

A few hours later, I'm shaking beside Charlie in the waiting room of the private ward

A few hours later, I'm shaking beside Charlie in the waiting room of the private ward. George passed out in the car with Blake on the way here. Winter came as soon as she could—left Primrose and Beau with her mum for the night. Both Theo and Daisy got here as soon as they could.

"What is it? What did the doctor say was wrong again?" I ask, eyes glued on the foam cup between my hands.

"A grade three concussion." Charlie puts his hand down on my knee to stop it from shaking while also keeping one arm secured around Astrid asleep on his lap.

"Can he die from that?"

"Um...if it's left untreated then yeah, yeah he could—but it's being treated."

"Is that it? Just a concussion? Nothing else?"

"You know him, been knocked in the head a few times—this is a walk in the park for him," he nudged me, smiling softly.

"I didn't ask that, I asked if that was the only thing wrong with him. Don't lie to me, Charlie." I put my cup down on the floor, turn in my seat to face him. Albie, Blake and the others are either outside getting fresh air, getting food somewhere or are asleep. We're the only ones awake.

"Calm down, yeah? He's going to be fine, Haysie."

"Charlie—"

He lets out a frustrated breath. "Fine—fuck, it's serious and they think he's got brain damage."

"What?" I stand up, shake my head, feel the floor shift underneath me. "What do you mean?"

"Can you sit down? Just calm down for a second," Charlie pleads, reaching for my hand without getting up.

Just then Mia and Carter walk through the ward, carrying plastic takeaway cups. "What's wrong?" Mia runs over, wrapping me in her arms.

"They think he's got brain damage!" I cry into her, my body weak and unable to hold my strength because there's too much hold now. This is the part where I completely shatter and break. There's only so much one person can take in one lifetime.

I didn't plan on sleeping but when she lays me down on a soft surface, covering me with a thin blanket, I'm physically unable to stop my lids from closing.

The sun rising wakes me a few hours later and the second my eyes open, it all comes rushing back. I know exactly why I'm here. I know who's in the room at the end of the hall. I know why everyone's contorted their bodies into uncomfortable positions to get some sleep.

It wasn't a dream, wasn't a nightmare. It was real life. George won the fight, though. Of course, he did but now I'm wondering at what expense?

I glance around the room, everyone's asleep. Even Blake's sitting up with his eyes shut and Winter under his arm. I can't see any doctors or nurses wandering about so I get up, wiggle my toes since someone took my heels off and tiptoe over to George's hospital room.