𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏

I was busy sorting out Rose in the stables after taking her out when I heard the crunch of hay beneath someone's shoe behind me

I was busy sorting out Rose in the stables after taking her out when I heard the crunch of hay beneath someone's shoe behind me. I glance over my shoulder, Heidi was standing there in her custom-made bespoke floral print head wrap.

She looked sick, I hated it but she was able to live life semi-normally now that the medicine had started to kick in. Of course, she had to make adjustments—we all did but Mum and Dad started couples therapy and are learning how to deal with this again.

"Hey," She smiled, staying put just outside. "How was the party? I saw Mia got with that Kardashian's ex on GQ—there was a whole two pages about it. Picture of you and Jude Tilden caught my eye."

I continued brushing Rose's silvery mane without turning to face my sister. "It was nothing. The party was good, they always are. Mia just needed to get laid and Jude and I were just messing about. Didn't you see that picture of George and Iris Monroe?"

The whole party—the little game between me and George actually didn't piss me off one bit. It's been two weeks since then anyway. He's even taken me out on a few dates that we've had to keep on the down low and look like two old friends going for dinner.

"Hm," Heidi hums. "Well, lunch will be ready soon and everyone will be here and you smell like horse shit."

Kissing Rose and giving her one last stroke, I spin around to face my sister dressed in the Self-Portrait chiffon lace-detail mini dress and Versilia 60 satin sandals from Gianvito Rossi. "I would say something so mean back but you have cancer and that would make me a shitty person."

She nods, lips folded. "It would indeed. Karma is real."

Heidi whips her head to the side when a bee buzzes in her face and the sun hits her at the perfect angle. Her yellow dress and matching head wrap contrast against her fading tan. The Chanel lipgloss she's wearing shimmers and her highlight glistens. Even though she's incredibly sick, she still looks beautiful.

The media knows about it now. Heidi did an at-home shoot for Vogue to be on the July front cover last week. If we were still at Parklane, the house would be swamped with paparazzi but no one really knows we're here. It's a quiet little country house in Surrey.

It's quite hard to get to as well. A long old driveway, a huge iron gate and hedges surrounding the outskirts so even if cameras are trying to peek through, they can't see anything. The house is right in the middle amongst the vast garden.

It's a model thing—Heidi looking so perfect even with cancer. I wouldn't look this good. She has more of dads genes than I do. More darker features, slightly more masculine and broad than I am. I took after Mum with my facial features.

"Right," Heidi huffs after batting away the bee. "Are you getting in the shower or not because mum is doing her potato salad then dishing up before everyone gets here."

"Yes," I roll my eyes, locking up the stable and walking back to the house. We're inviting everyone over for a late lunch that'll turn into late drinks and whiny teenagers. We're right into June now and this is the first barbecue of the season. The sun has been shining, the nights have been long and despite everything, I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer.