𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

We arrive in London just shy of half two in the morning

We arrive in London just shy of half two in the morning. Harper slept most of the way so by the time we drove back to mine, she was wide awake. I haven't slept a fucking wink but there's nothing in me telling me that I need sleep. It's the last fucking thing I need right now.

The car comes to a slow stop outside of my place but Harper makes no move to leave the car. "Where are you going? We can go to yours?"

She shakes her head, a bit numb, don't blame her though because I would be too. "No, I'm going to Mums. Heidi's there so I can just walk from here."

I give my driver a look, hold my hand up to tell him to wait. "I'll come with you, we'll go right now."

She chews her lip—a nervous habit and reluctantly nods. "You're not staying the night, though." Her hand comes between the middle seat and grabs mine, holding on tight as we pull away, take a left and stop a bit up the road—that's how close her family home is to mine.

Shame my dad wants me (forcing me) to move. Alb doesn't want it either but if we're being realistic here, it's the responsible thing to do. Bigger, more space for security, private area. Dad said it hasn't even been on the market, completely unknown but still in the middle of London where we can run everything. It's perfect really.

I've only been staying at the Park Lane house since I got released but Albie and Carter have been there for a few years, Charlie spending majority of his time there too. I suppose it's just a bit sore with memories and that but it's got to be done.

"I'm ready. Come on," Harper squeezes my hand, pulling me from the car.

We stand outside her house, the dim glow of the living room light illuminates the dark street. She's hesitating to go inside because she knows what could be waiting on the other side of the door.

I'm a bit hesitant to go in too because it's the first time I've been here since getting out and fuck, there are a lot of memories within these four walls.

The black front door swings open, the two of us just stood on the doorstep as Emerson appears. "What the fuck are the both of you doing just standing there?"

It takes Harper a moment to register, I think and then she's running into her father's arms and sobbing. Full on, breaking down, voice cracking sobs that break my fucking heart. Emerson holds her up, making sure she doesn't fall to her knees.

Helpless as ever, I just stay standing there, watching as she breaks down because I know part of it is because of me. The past month or so has been bubbling up inside of her and now it's her chance to get it all out without feeling judged because the only people watching it happen are her dad and me. Probably the only two men in her life she fully trusts.

"Come on, Harper," Emerson rests his head on top of hers, flicks his eyes down to me and smiles. It's only a small one—Em's not really the type to do much more toward me. Yeah, the guy bailed me out and saved me from an eight-year prison sentence but I still don't think he'd class us as friends.