Chapter 2 "How I'm getting on"

~Iria~

11/8/19

I hugged my legs as my butt rested on the cold floor, I didn't have energy to grab my legs tightly or to bury my head between my knees, I didn't bother to curl up in a ball, I just faced the wall, I was surrounded by walls in that opaque glass prison. We were locked in this four-walls jail that started to become very familiar.

I had barely just met Ethan and I already knew I didn't want to leave his side for the rest of my life. He talked a lot, he had so many interesting things to say... He has lived in a lot of different places and said he has been in many others.

I want to be like him, I decided that when he first told me about his life. He's like me, I have never met anyone like me but here he is. We are just as special but we have different lives, we have been raised in a different way, what would seem unfair to me if it wasn't because now I have someone who tells me amazing stories about places I didn't know.

I don't understand why does Ethan care about me, we being locked together doesn't mean he has to talk to me but he did. He has been trying to distract me since he entered here five days ago, however now he's losing... All my attention is in that opaque glass that doesn't return me my reflection and all I wonder is if mother will be watching me now.

"Baby?" My neck turned to the voice whenever I heard him calling me by that nickname.

My eyes opened widely when I saw what he had done with the bunk bed. Ethan came running to me and grabbed my hands, forcing me to stand up as he guided me inside the blanket fort the had built between the bunk bed.

"Welcome to our castle." He dramatized when we got comfortable in the bed.

I giggled, it was a perfect castle. There was a small lamp that lighted the inside of the fort but most importantly, there wasn't that constant feeling of someone watching me.

We were out of their sight.

"I promise you, baby, one day I'll give you a true castle."

I blushed to that promise.

"And I promise you that, if that happens, I will give you a crown."

༄ ❅ ༄

4/3/24

When Ethan had a few weeks left to turn fourteen he entered my bedroom euphoric, he said he had a surprise and we might leave at the moment so he teleported us to the capital, to an apartment in Toronto.

He was so excited that he barely got to explain me how, after he helped a man to steal something that's been stole from him, he gave Ethan this apartment in exchange, it was paid and all he had to do is pay the bills if he wanted water and light but it was all his...

He gave it to me. My castle, a truly safe place out of our parents sight, where we weren't watched.

Ethan knew that I hated when people called 'safe' things and places that weren't, that's why he gave me this, a new meaning to the long-awaited security that I was looking for all my life. My castle, I hadn't found a crown good enough for him yet.

"Come on, baby, I made breakfast, you will have to get out of bed to taste it."

I grunted, I was still half asleep but I was aware of how odd sounded everything.

"You don't cook." I remind him, ignoring for the moment the lump in my stomach that wouldn't let a single crumb of bread get into. "And since when do you care if I get out of bed or not?"

I had sounded too harsh and even cold but it was true, Ethan didn't care. He has spent nine months giving me space so why taking it from me now?

"Don't do that... " He warned me. His voice sounded sweet and even worried. I haven't bothered in open my eyes, I planned to stay in bed. "Won't Molly be missing you at school?"