Chapter 29 "If you were my little girl"

~Iria~

4/6/21

Regardless any opinion opposite to mine, feeling lonely is awful and being afraid too but do you what's even worse? Having to put your best smile to convince someone that you don't care when you do. But what could I do? I didn't expect anybody to stop living their lives to come save me, that's why I had to do this alone, I will have to get over it.

No matter how lonely and afraid I felt

"Ethan..." I instead, he didn't want to give in what started to seem annoying due to my persistence.

"I won't leave you alone." He still had that firm tone in his voice.

There it was the argument, tonight Ethan's lacrosse team played the last game of the year, it was an important one that would decide their victory and they played it at home. I couldn't go, my mother would be furious and I didn't want to disappoint her but...

Both Ethan and I knew what happened when I was alone, even when I wasn't. They took me to the hospital whenever I liked it or not, I didn't have an option, I could fight but I couldn't win, I never did.

Ethan is worried, he's always worried and he doesn't want to leave me alone but I can't ask him to stay home leaving the game behind. I would never ask him to quit doing something he enjoys, never.

He didn't understand that.

"Ethan, you can't put your life in pause because of my issues. Plus, I will be fine." I tried my gaze to pierce through his to make him understand I believed my words.

Even if I didn't.

"I'm not pausing anything, I just won't let them hurt you. I'll stay." Again that firm tone.

I sighed, this boy is really stubborn.

"And what are you planning to do? To spend your whole life watching my back to make sure nobody touches a hair of mine? It's not rational." I had raised my voice more than I intended so I try to get a calmer tone when I next addressed Ethan, this time appealing to his gaze. "I'm telling you I'll be fine, why can't you believe me? I know how to fight."

I couldn't help thinking the latter was a lie. I know how to fight but not against them. Ethan sighed, I also saw how the doubts started to show in his eyes, this time he hesitated in keeping his opinion as firm as before.

"Are you sure you will be okay?"

There it was the doubt I had to cling to if I wanted to convince him.

"I'm sure." It felt horrible to lie to him while staring into his eyes but I had to sound convincing. "Anyway, you will be one call away. Just go and have fun with your friends, go win that game you've been so excited about during the whole week."

Ethan clicked his tongue averting his gaze from me, he had give in, I could see it in his eyes.

"As soon as the game ends I'll come back home." He looked up to me then, his voice even had a slight threating tone but there was just concern in his eyes.

I smiled at those eyes in case I could erase his worries.

"You are allowed to go to the after party and have a couple of drinks, you know?" I raised an eyebrow, predicting how Ethan would start again with the reasons why he should stay home so I hugged him. "You will be late to the game if you don't leave."