Chapter 14 "You gotta let it out soon, just let it out"

~Ethan~

25/12/19

I looked at the mirror hating everything I saw, Esther had chosen my clothes for this first formal lunch with her new perfect family. I hated it, I was about to change the slacks and shirt for some ripped jeans when I felt a dark presence behind me. I turned around to find the devil, wearing a dark green strapless dress and a fake smile. She held something I couldn't tell with both her hands.

"Ethan." She pronounced my name still with that smile but with a stern tone. "I hope you are able to appreciate how good clothes fit you unless you want to pay the consequences of an impolite boy."

Her gaze pierced through mine threating, I haven't lived long in this house but I was aware of Esther's intentions. I smiled as falsely as she had done.

"That told I would like to..." She looked at me up and down not hiding well enough her grimace. "Do something with that sloppy hairstyle of yours."

Then I realized that what she held in her hands was hair gel.

Esther had spread the gel all over my redhead hair slicking it back, I hated even more the result of this disguise when I glanced at the mirror. Esther didn't think that way, once she finished she lifted my chin forcing me to look her in the eyes.

Iria was lucky she hadn't inherit those empty soul-suckers black eyes.

"You look handsome... you have potential." She sounded as if she had gotten lost.

"Potential of what?" I answered back, not averting my gaze just yet.

"Of becoming perfect." She said then, her touch suddenly burned so I slapped her hand away from my face.

She quit looking at me for a couple of seconds to caress the hand I had slapped before her eyes laid on me again, with another fake smile on her lips.

"Perfect as Iria?" I reproached her, this woman's obsession was insane.

Her smile widened, she tilted her head looking at me as if I were naïve.

"Iria is not perfect." She spoke too sure of herself, as always. "She will never be perfect."

"She does everything you say." I started to look at her as the monster she was, Esther didn't quit smiling though this time the curve of her lips almost faded.

"Exactly, she doesn't have a voice, she will live all her life basing her opinion on someone's else, without personality at all, that's not perfect... It's not even human, just monstrous as her and you."

There it was the look of contempt that characterized her.

"Then why?" I just wanted to know.

The smile on her lips felt real this time.

"Because when I first held her in my arm, looking at those eyes that scared my husband away, I promised her that I would ruin her and that's what I did. Is there something uglier than a girl without a voice? You must know what I talk about, you make a lot of noise when you walk in a room, Iria doesn't. She's exactly what her father once told me he didn't want her to be, a soldier."

She averted her gaze from mine to fix it on something behind me, the piece of Iria's chess that I found under my bed after she taught me how to play last night. A pawn.

"Just a helpless little girl press of this evil world, full of horrible people." She assured in whispers.

༄ ❅ ༄

15/3/24

I had put on a red shirt together with some short black pants for the movie night, although I had just dared to roll up the cuffs of the long sleeves, I didn't want to show more than I should. Tonight Iria wore a white cotton dress, long and strapless, it took me almost an hour to convince her that she looked good. Anyway, the dress was of the smallest side we found in the shop.