Chapter 43 "Sometimes the silence guides a mind"

~Iria~

26/4/24

J.D's basement smelled like smoke. It was usually filled by this very subtle white cloud, almost invisible and I didn't mind, few things annoyed me nowadays, smoke wasn't one of them. I breathed the contaminated air filling my lungs with it, J.D's cigarette seemed more and more appetizing as the rounds went by.

"Ethan, your turn."

For some reason I averted my gaze from J.D's cigarette to look at Molly, who held the next card in her hands, then at Ethan, whose only card was the joint he was smoking with Medad.

Weed is a drug, my mind screamed. I didn't want to remember that one fight we had... and I better didn't remember what happened afterwards.

"What's the worst nickname you have ever had?" Molly read out, she cleared her throat to keep talking. "Extra squares if it's a sexual one."

I saw Ethan pretending he thought about the answer as he handed the joint back to Medad, they both were laid on the same sofa in sort of strange postures. Ethan's laugh confounded me.

"Last Friday a girl called me Satan when I was about to fuck her." He spoke with traces of a not loud laugh, not one filled with happiness but with smoke.

Ethan was high.

"Satan? Were you playing roles?" J.D chuckled next to me, just by the time he got the cigarette again in his mouth.

Ethan started denying with the head.

"It was actually because I wasn't wearing the c-"

I had to kick Ethan so he would shut up, he looked at me with an expression of pain. I knew it wouldn't hurt him as much as finding out he opened up about our condition while he had a joint in his mouth.

I joined the dots late. Last Friday... I bet the only reason why he showed up at our party was because the girl he was about to get laid with called him Satan and he needed to run away, from all the memories hidden behind that original second name of his. I looked at him with different eyes for the rest of the night, with a pair of more empathic eyes that wished to see through him.

Ethan continued handing the weed from Medad to him and otherwise while Molly decided with J.D how many squares was getting Ethan.

Three squares now that they considered Satan original, plus the extra square because it was a sexual nickname.

I didn't pay attention to J.D's turn, my mind was busy thinking about everything that could have happened to Ethan that day he was missing after our fight. I just got to heard that J.D moved back a square.

"Iria, what's the craziest place where you have had sex?" Molly's voice brought my mind back to the real world, away from the drunk and high Ethan of my head who stumbled around there plenty of times.

I barely stopped to think about the answer, I knew the craziest place where I had had sex with him and I didn't bother to look back in time.

There was no answer I wanted to give if it was before him.

"In a gym." I said briefly, without shyness.

"How do you fuck in a gym?" Molly frowned, she had faced me.

A smirk curved my lips without permission.

"Do you want the theory or the practice?" I wanted to mock, I notice Ethan chuckled too.

"Wasn't he shy?" His tone felt personal. It was payback for two weeks ago though he kept the hidden funny tone.