Chapter 12: Flashforward

Through the next couple of weeks, the healing process would follow the course the doctors wanted. Alex completed the exercises as he was prescribed, seeing progress on a weekly progress. Everything culminated with a return trip to the track at Martinsville, followed by being back behind the wheel at Phoenix Raceway.

When it came to business in Chicago, everything came together as well. Utilizing a CIA that Antonio Dawson had, they were able to locate both Randy and Daniel. Daniel gave up the whole plan, the approaches they made on both Alex and Lucy, and why they wanted the information on Felicia. It was then through Randy they were able to have him turn on them and find not only Anthony, but those he had pissed off that wanted the information. A couple raids later, and arrests were made to make everyone inside, and outside Chicago happy.

With everyone caught, it was determined that Alex's safety was no longer in jeopardy, with Jay's time with the NASCAR driver being pulled to a conclusion.

"I hate I am not going to get to go to the Chili Bowl with you and see how these things run," Jay mused when the news came down and he shared it with Alex. Although this was a focused assignment, he had gotten to know him through the past couple months, getting a feel for his interests. He even lent a hand in the shop a couple nights when Alex was trying to do something a little difficult by himself.

"Just because you're not off assignment does not mean you cannot attend as a guest of mine," Alex offers, knowing anyone was always welcome to attend the Chili Bowl and take in the crazy entertainment the week had to offer. "But just to be warned - we're not there to just win, but also win the party."

"I don't know if I could picture you really partying hard...." Alex couldn't help but chuckle, knowing it caught a lot of people off-guard when he shared his plans for the week. However, after spending a week with him in Tulsa, it seemed to clear up any questions or concerns they had. "Stay safe, and you have my number if you ever do need me." 

"I'll try to avoid finding people who have dirty connections." 

The months that followed saw the pair go on their separate paths.

 Alex enjoyed his off-season time, including a break from everything, followed by a trip skiing with friends. Even though the Chili Bowl did not turn out as planned - who knew you could wreck all three cars in one week - it was still a blast as always and he already was counting down the days until the next round.

Jay returned back to Chicago, enjoying the time he finally got to spend with Hailey since spending all of those months away. It was fun to take a little getaway of their own together, and just break through from the stresses the job had always put on both their shoulders. It also reminded him why he had married her in the first place, and why he promised to ensure they stayed together for years to come.

With knowing his break from the Army was coming to an end, he began to contemplate the decision whether he should return - or actually remain in Chicago, working alongside Hank and the rest of the Intelligence Unit. His mind tripped both ways with positives and negatives, and certainly escaping from the crazy hell endured over there would probably be welcome.

For now, though, he was waiting for Hailey to get home from her shift, knowing she was just finishing up a bit of paperwork on the unit's latest arrest. It was another night of their own, with him promising to take her out for dinner for a change. 

When he heard his phone ring, he almost didn't want to look, afraid it was Hailey to let him know their dinner was delayed or cancelled. Instead, he felt a bit of surprise and confusion at the number.

"Hey Alex," he answers the phone, a mix of feelings coursing through him, considering he hadn't seen or spoken to him since their last discussion in December. He had made an attempt to watch the Chili Bowl, and was quite impressed by a couple days he caught, but work made it nearly impossible to watch the full week.

"Hey Jay," Alex replies, feeling the instant relaxation he felt once Jay had been around for a week with him before. Glancing at the schedule before him for the next couple weeks, there was still no regrets over making this phone call. "I have a favor that I want to ask you."

"What's up?" Jay felt every nerve ting, as there were many things he knew could be asked of him right now by this person. Besides, he knew what Alex wanted him to see, but what if there was something else underneath the surface? He also didn't know of all his connections, and knew that could bring a whole different layer of questioning.

"NASCAR wants me to go to Chicago and do an appearance or two around the city once again to help promote the street course event later this year. They have a couple major city spots they want me to attend, followed by a couple radio and tv shows. Call me crazy, call me paranoid, but I am little nervous based on what happened the last time I was there. So I was wondering if you'd be fine with coming with me, playing personal security for the day if you will - just to give me an extra feeling of safety." Jay couldn't fault the phone call one bit, understanding the feelings given the series of events that happened and their Chicago connections. It was a familiar situation, with having a couple other past cases reconnect for conversation or safety. He knew he could just refer him to the department and send a regular officer, or try to play the assurance of nothing would happen. However, he also knew it may not be a bad idea to reconnect together.

"That's not a problem as I can do that for you. Can you send me the day and a copy of the schedule, please?"