Chapter 31: A Suggestion

Will stands back against the wall as he takes a glance towards Hailey, before allowing her eyes to rest on his brother. It had been a long series of days, and now hours with everything that had gone on.

They had hoped he would've woken up sooner, but it hadn't gone as smoothly as they hoped. Sure, he stirred and had the motions of being awake. Sure, he had opened his eyes and there was hope for the future. However, between fighting so much against the pain he was in and PTSD, it had been decided to sedate him to allow his body time to heal.

"Can we try something?" He asks quietly, as he watches Connor and Daniel in the room carefully. He knew Connor was there to check on Jay's vitals, as well as other pondering questions in knowing everything that was going on. Daniel's appearance did not surprise him either, as of course they'd have a psychiatrist present given what they'd seen so far. "The next time he wakes up, can we not quickly sedate him?" 

"I am not treating him any differently than any of my patients," Connor starts, all the scenarios clashing through his brain at once as he looked over at Will. "You run the risk of him pulling out cords, tubes, just making a total mess. We have the pacing wires and everything in place for a reason, Will. I am trying to do what I can to take care of your brother." Will understood what Connor was saying, having heard the explanation and even delivered it several times as a doctor himself. However, a glance towards his brother and knowing everything, it wasn't his plan this time around.

"I feel his PTSD is having the biggest affect rather than the pain and everything. That's why I am making the suggestion. Let me talk to him, let me see if I can snap him out of it. Let me see if I can help him through what he's feeling." Will takes a deep breath, remembering a couple rough nights at the house where it never seemed the anger and tears would end. "I've done it before. Mouse had to do it regularly when he came back." 

"Normally with patients, we wait until the risk is lower - or restrai-" Daniel starts, earning an immediate head shake from Will. He knew that'd be the worst case scenario, and really cause Jay's anxiety to go even that much more crazier. 

"You are not using restraints on him; you have to trust me Daniel," Will states as he looks straight at the psychiatrist, hoping to portray his point. "It stems back to an experience while he was away, but it left a very bad impression on him and anything like it causes him to flip immediately. That's why I don't even want to think about the topic. However, could you please take me up on my offer? Let me help my brother, please...." 

"I am willing to accept what you're saying, as long as you promise to allow myself or Connor to step in as soon as things go sideways - for your brother's safety and health that is." Will nods his head, accepting, his eyes landing back on Jay. He takes a deep breath, not allowing himself to get lost in the monitors and cords but rather focuses on the face. He had to make sure his brother was okay. He had to do whatever was necessary. 

"Will, are you sure this is a good idea?" Hailey questions, feeling skeptism on her part. She didn't want to take any risks with Jay, knowing if they needed something to help control her heart beat that this was more serious than any other experience they'd been through before. She wasn't about to take chances here. "Maybe we should wait until he continues to heal and gets better, has less pain, and perhaps things even out. Pacing wires is not something that should be taken ligh-"

"I'm a doctor Hailey so I know exactly why they are required and how serious things may be," Will cuts her off, feeling as though the lecture was not fair, even if Hailey was his wife. Will was the doctor here, knew the risks and situation, but also knew his brother better than anyone. It was why he felt best equipped to make these decisions. It was also why he had final say, if you wanted to check the legal documents. "I wouldn't do anything to put him at further risk or hurt him. I love him, Hailey. I would do whatever it took for him." 

"That's also why we're going to remain close - just in the edge of the doorway - through everything and will step in if necessary," Daniel reminds Hailey, not taking his eyes off Will through the whole process. He knew there was PTSD that Jay had dealt with, from passing conversations to knowing he was seeing his colleague regularly at one point. It was why as he thought about it and the reactions they had from Jay, he thought perhaps Will may be onto something with his theory. 

"If you do anything to make this worse, I will make sure your ass is black and blu-" Hailey states as Will nods his head, accepting the risk of a beating from her. That was how much he believed in his idea.

"I got this Hails," he assures her once again as he locks his eyes on his brother, holding his hand with his own. "Let me take care of him, please..." 

"Other than not waking up, everything else is starting to look better and steady," Connor comments as he looks over the monitors, making a couple notes in the files. "It wouldn't surprise me if he was still getting nerve shooting pain or muscle spasms. However, it's calming enough that the monitors are not doing all the work." Will nods his head, knowing that just gave him more motivation that he was doing the right thing in taking charge of the situation. 

"He's going to be okay...."