Chapter 38: A Flashback

Running through behind the building, Jay allowed his feet to carry him as quickly as he could. He knew he had to catch up to the guy, do whatever was necessary. Shots rang through the streets as he ducked behind whatever he could - dumpsters, cars. He watched the pair of bodies go down, and wanted to do whatever he could to help the victims. Though while saving those two would be great, it'd just allow this man to shoot down more people. Is that really what he needed right now? 

"Get out of the way!" He yells as he chases the suspect, hopeful those he was passing by would adhere the advice and get out of there as soon as possible. There was no need for more bodies to be dropping. "5021 George, I'm taking heavy fire. I got two civilians down in the north alley behind the building." 

Ducking out from behind the latest obstacle, he sees the target in sight. Lining up the gun, knowing the man was there, he takes his shot. He knew he hit the individual given the agony he heard, but yet watched as the feet carried him off still. He tried to follow, though by the time he got around the corner, there was no hope in that happening.

"Help! Help!" The cries caught his attention from the building as he makes his way through the already opened front door. 

His heart catches in his throat as he sees Hailey knelt down by a little girl - probably about seven years old - trying to put pressure on a wound. How was she shot? When was she shot? How was this even possible?

"What happened?" He finally manages to say, reaching for the radio on his belt to make another call of desperation. He could only hope an ambulance showed up soon.

"I don't know," Hailey replies as she keeps her eyes locked on the little girl, the same girl that now Jay stared clear as a day at. "I heard crying." Jay knew his focus should be on her, but seeing another six or seven along with probably the daycare provider, he knew focus should be on saving everybody.

"Get these kids out the west exit right now. Now!" His instructions go into action immediately as he watches the pair of officers who had shown up take charge in assisting what was necessary. They needed to do it for their own protection. They also didn't need to see the image before them any longer. "All right, I'm gonna call for an ambulance."

"We don't have time. Get your car." 

"No...no...no...," Jay lets out as he kicks his legs in every direction, arms flying as the pillow goes flying across the room. His actions caught the attention of his brother, who had stopped to see him. It was why Will now stood in the doorway watching the scene before him. "No! It wasn't my bullet! I didn't shoot her!"

"Jay..." Will makes his way over, placing a hand on top of Jay's, in hopes it would snap him out of what he was thinking immediately. "Jay!"

"I didn't shoot her!" Jay swats Will's hand away immediately, only for Will to return the gesture once again. This time, though, Will gives Jay's shoulder a squeeze, followed by a tight grip on his arm. His actions caught the attention of his little brother, as the eyes shot open immediately. 

"Breathe...." Will ducked as he knew the punch was coming from the combination of totally not being with it, to the frustration over what he was having to experience all over again. "Jay, breathe, relax, wake up. That's in the past." 

"You told me you could save her." Will takes a deep breath, remembering the exact conversation from the hospital hallway they had in the hours following the initial shooting. "You told me she was going to be okay." 

"Jay, I need you to breathe and relax, please...." Will was on edge, ready to duck if necessary, knowing the dark eyes staring at him were targeting everything at that moment with what he was thinking. He apprehensions were on point, as he found himself ducking once again in way of another fist, thankful but regretting the experience he had to know it was coming. "Damn it Jay! I did what I could!" 

"I know..." It was like the efforts were finally working as he heard a subdued response in return to his screeching comment. He slowly looks towards his brother, noticing the darkness had faded, in return traded with eyes of sadness and concern. "I know you did. She shouldn't have been there. That bullet never should've touched her. It should've went straight in that guy and killed him right there. How does a bullet go through someone, followed by a door and hit a little girl?" 

"Unfortunately, I think you just have some of the worst luck at times." Will then sits on the edge of the bed as Jay wipes away the excess sweat that covered his face, swaying away the tears that threatened to slide down his cheeks. "Are you okay?" 

"I can still see her face. I can still see the blood pooling around her. I can still see Hailey washing it off her hands, followed by both of our clothes. I can still see the hole in her. I still remember clearly as day when Hank proved to me it was my bullet that killed her. Those images haven't gone away no matter what has happened." Will nods his head, knowing where his brother was coming from in those comments. It was the same as a couple patients that had left the same type of impact on him, whether through their story or how they should've been able to survive - but yet faded away to nothing. The ghosts that lied in the closet. "I'm okay, though. I just hope I didn't hurt you." 

"I've gotten to know your nightmares, Jay. I know when to duck now." Jay wanted to chuckle at the comment, though resisted the urge as they both knew that probably wasn't a good sign. "So why are you dreaming of that little girl again?" 

"I don't know. Maybe because I was telling Hank how the images of those that I've lost overseas that shouldn't be gone are in my mind. She's part of that collection. She didn't deserve to die. She was just a kid, at daycare, playing with her friends. She didn't deserv-"

"You're right, but you can't beat yourself up over that - then, now, or forever on. Accidents happen, unfortunately. We try to do everything we can to prevent those, but nobody knew those kids were behind that door. Nobody believed a bullet could do what your bullet did. It's not your fault, Jay." Jay looks over at his brother, nodding his head, having repeated those very words in his mind a couple times already. He wished that'd make the images forever disappear, but knew that'd be a nightmare.

"I accepted a position back with the Intelligence Unit. I'm not going back to Iraq. I'm staying here in Chicago so you're stuck with me." Will didn't know whether to pray, laugh, smile, or question what he was being told in that very moment. What about the discussions they were just having about the flashback?

"Is that what triggered this nightmare? You're subconsciously worried about repeating this once again?" Jay didn't know whether his brother was right in those words, but it was certainly an avenue worth exploring. He had never doubted his ability. He always knew what he was capable of, and how to get his hands on his target. So why was he beginning to question his decisions now? 

"Maybe, I don't know..." He then takes a deep breath, feeling a shooting pain up his back. "I know that I am going to do whatever I can to keep the streets of Chicago safe and not repeat that again." 

"I have faith in you. I believe in every part of you that you're going to be amazing back where you belong. As for what just happened, it's going to be okay. You have to believe me." Jay nods his head, for once understanding those words better than most. He had been through this before. He just needed to get a grip on everything, figure out his emotions, re-work the strategies, and follow through. 

"I'm working on it. That's got to be worth something."