Chapter 22: Not Needed Anymore

Jay takes a deep breath, trying his best to ignore the pain that threatened to engulf his body. He glances around, seeing for any hole that may help lead to freedom, if he could just undo the chains that held him to the pole.

Another deep breath, he takes a glance towards his partner on the other side of the room, pleased with how things had gone so far. He hadn't expected to be as much solid ground as he had withstood alongside him, despite the seas looking tough at times for them both.

A deep breath, he ignored his brain telling him to look down at his own body. He had returned to the same room next door twice since the initial visit, with the same repetitive process following. There were more electrical burns to the body, belt slaps across the ankles, bats taken to the ribs. He didn't need to look at himself to know there'd be marks, bruises, and cuts for days into the future.

He watches the door unlock, a glance towards Alex with a nod first in acknowledgement to follow what they had done ever since the first steps into the room. It was simple, but he always shared the reminder in not wanting the course to change.

Jay takes a deep breath, expecting them to make their way over to him, unchain him from the wall, only to lead him next door for another session. Perhaps they had new questions this time around so they wouldn't bore him too much.

"Looks like we won't be needing you," Derek comments with a smirk on his face as he watches Jay closely, before allowing his eyes to drift over to Alex. "It seems we've got other business to attend to." 

"Is that so?" Jay questions, actually hopeful of information. If he did manage to survive, he wanted to know where to find this ass if he wasn't dead immediately so he could ensure it happened himself.

"You'd be happy to know that I know where someone special is..." The blank stare that took over Jay's face only caused Derek's chuckle to grow strength, and confusion for Alex. There was probably only one card Derek could use to force his hand with Jay, and that seemingly was it. He couldn't deny the tender spot he still had for Erin. "Maybe I will pay her a visi-"

"No, please no! Look, as I told you - I can handle everything. Let me handle this for you." Derek looks over, with a surprised glance in the plead that he was hearing. This wasn't some officer using his tactical skills anymore. He had actually managed to break Jay the way he wanted to. Perhaps he should've used this card sooner.

"I think Erin will enjoy seeing me again..." Derek then glances between the pair, almost feeling a bit of sympathy for Alex. "I feel bad that I need to do this, to both of you. Him? Not so much but you, I wish you weren't caug-"

"Then let him go!" It was a simple request, but desperation was written behind it, more than Jay wanted to ever admit but had simply come through. However, knowing Derek was at the end of his rope and about to bring Erin back into this, he was running out of options in what to do next. He knew his end was probably nearer than he wanted, but didn't want the same for Alex.

"That'd be too easy. Instead, I have other plans for both of you." They watch as Derek goes out the door, a glance between the pair as Jay begins running through every theory through his mind.

Alex keeps his eyes forward, taking a couple deep breaths, allowing the conversation he just heard to repeat through his mind once again. No matter how he looked at everything, it seemed everything only led to one resolve. 

Derek didn't need them anymore. Derek was already focused on his next target. Derek had the information he wanted. Derek didn't want to see any easy route of survival. Derek was set to do something as implied, because he didn't need them anymore.

"What are we going to do?" He simply questions, noticing the silence that was written on Jay, perhaps even more paranoid by the response of panic witnessed from his partner. Jay never panicked in these situations. Jay told himself the training was worse than what he had experienced here. Why had he just watched him panic? "Ja-"

"Quit!" Jay lets out, hands in the air. He wanted to snap out of his thoughts in peace, but another faint noise had caught his attention. He had heard just mere minutes after Derek left, meaning there may be only reason for it. It wasn't the sound of a gun cocking or knives sharpening, but it was a sound that nobody in this field ever grew used to.

"Ja-"

"Brace yourself!!!" 

Alex didn't have time to follow the command as the pair heard a bang above their heads, before watching as pieces of the ceiling above them began to fall, followed by the walls around them caving in slowly piece by piece. 

Jay pushed himself as close to the wall as he could, while pulling against the chains at the same time, in hopes the force would cause them to snap and ensure a better chance at safety for both him and Alex. 

"Alex!?!?" Jay calls out as he continues the motion of moving back and forth against the pole, hoping to hear the snap of the metal. He lets out his own scream as another beam falls around him, smashing down on his leg. "Oh fuck! Alex!?!?"

"Jay?" Jay hears faintly from across the room in the debris, taking his own deep breath as that satisficed one of the many concerns growing through his mind. 

"Stay strong. Stay focused. We're going to be okay!" He then repeats the motion again, feeling the chain break against the pole. He lets out a sigh of relief, before glancing down his body. He finally saw the marks he didn't want to see earlier, as well as a series of new ones courtesy of the latest events. The worst pain came from his leg, as he shoved the beam to the side. "Alex?!?"

"Oh man..." Jay felt his own panic in hearing that response, knowing whatever Alex found himself in now it wasn't pretty. He takes a deep breath, ignoring the pain, sifting through the debris as he follows the sound of the voice. "Jay...."

"Oh shit!" Jay found himself crawling quicker closer to the Alex only for his worry and panic to grow more in seeing the puddle of blood that was by his friend grow more and more. "Alex!!!"