Chapter 42: Media Day at Daytona

Alex takes a deep breath as he walks into the room, smile fixated on his face.

Media Day was always interesting. It gave you a chance to catch up with everyone. It displayed the fact that you were just one more day closer to getting the season started. However, there was also the fun of answering the same questions over and over. There was also the annoyance when the media got stuck on certain topics.

At least he had the Daytona 500 pole in his hands to give him a reason to smile no matter what they had to say. His Speedweeks had started off right, and he planned on finishing them off just as strongly.

"Alex, it's safe to say that everyone missed you at The Clash," the first reporter starts off following his opening remarks. Letting out a sigh, he knew to expect questions in this direction as everyone would obviously be curious given the week off. "How are you doing? We know you're back behind the wheel for Daytona, but health wise, how are you?"

"I am great," he comments, which was the truth. There was no lingering pain from where the beam had dug into his side. There may be a small mark that he'd carry forever, but nothing that would cause his headaches. Besides, chicks dug scars, right? "There's no pain, no issues from what happened." 

"It is our understanding from news reports that you were kidnapped, held hostage for a day and a half, before getting stuck in a building collapse. Can you speak about what happened?" Alex takes a deep breath, having wished the details hadn't spelt out to the media - just like the original incident that kick started off everything last year. However, given the press that showed up after hearing the collapse in the city and reporting on it, there was no way he was going to get the same opportunity. 

"It was an unfortunate mix-up at the end of the day. There were a lot of other factors going on." He then pauses, remembering the conversations with not only Jay since, but as well as Hank. Everybody was on the same page in what to say and do about everything. "That said, I'm not here to talk about what happened. I don't want to talk about what happened. There's a police report that you can read that tells you everything. I'm just glad both myself and Jay are okay. I'm ready to move forward, and focus on the task at hand - winning the Daytona 500 on Sunday."

"Is there a chance that we'll ever get to hear the full story from your side? Is there ever a chance that we'll answer the question that every fans want to know - why?" Alex shakes his head no, knowing he was sticking to the original plan in hand. Derek Keys was only there because of Jay, and Jay didn't want a bigger stink about it than there was. It just created more questions, and possible issues down the road in people knowing details. It also wasn't something comforting to speak about, given everything that was witnessed and experienced during those 36 hours.

"I'm here to answer questions about the Daytona 500 and the season ahead. Anybody want to talk racecars? I want to talk racecars!"

The rest of the session was rather tame, with everyone keeping the questions on topic as Alex requested. There were a couple non-NASCAR questions, but thankfully they pertained to his Sprint car plans that upcoming season. It seemed Tuesday nights were going to become a lot more fun in the summer.

Once he had put in his 20 minutes, he was excused to leave and head off to the next station - answering the questions as asked for radio, followed by the television reporters that were on hand.

He was finally allowed to leave for the day, stepping outside and leaning back against the wall as he lets out a sigh. He couldn't escape the questions that had been asked by the reporter. 

He couldn't escape the images that still filled his mind in the hours afterwards. He could still see the blood all over the ground around him. He could still sense the pain that made him scream his lungs out. He could still see the marks - bruises, scratches, burns - that covered the man beside him as he sat chained to the wall.

"Alex...." He hears, causing him to open his eyes and looks over at his side. He almost was scared to take a glance, knowing certain individuals being there right now would not be welcome given what he was feeling. However, he let his guard down immediately in seeing it was William. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he replies, adding a nod to give emphasis. He hadn't talked about what happened with any of his friends - not even CJ. There was only one person that had heard, and she was a necessary if he was to deal with the emotions. He wasn't about to change that as who wanted to hear the details as to what happened? 

"Are you sure? I heard they pressed about what happened. I know a lot went down, and I can only imagine what you're feeling. You just seemed spaced out when I walked out here." Alex takes a deep breath, debating just what to say in response. He wanted to just run away, not have this conversation. But the idea of lying to William did not seem to come easy. He wasn't the type to lie to anyone.

"I'm still dealing with some flashbacks, pain, images from what happened. The questions and them bringing it back up has me rethinking everything over again." He then takes another deep breath, focusing his eyes back on his teammate. "I just needed a moment to collect myself, ease my thoughts. I'm okay, though. You don't have to worry about me tonight, this weekend, anytime."

"I hope not, because I don't want to be getting anymore phone calls or text messages like that from Chase again." Alex nods his head, though couldn't help but think about his other teammate a little.

They hadn't talked much since Chase checked in with him at the hospital. They hadn't talked about Chase's regret in being a little late, perhaps putting everything into motion. He could only hope those emotions weren't eating at him still.