Chapter 14: Flying Out

The rest of the day went smoothly, with the appearances following in line on schedule just as they hoped. 

Alex went through his duties, posing for the necessary photos, talking to the reporters and answering their questions. At times it may have seemed repetitive, but the smoothness of the day made it better. 

With the day complete, he and Jay went out for dinner, using the time to catch up over what had happened over the past couple months. Alex gave Jay the full recap of everything from the Chili Bowl.

"Sounds like a complete disaster of a weekend," was all Jay could reply back in hearing how things broke down, from CJ's pair of flips in a day to every car having something bent by the end of the weekend. "But let me guess - you still won the party?"

"Was there ever any doubt?" Alex questions with a chuckle, still smirking about some of the things they managed to cram in a week in Tulsa. 

With the day complete and Alex knowing the days at home were bound to get less very soon with travel set to kick up, he was flying out that night back to Charlotte, having asked a favor from a friend. He remembered the directions given as to where to meet at the airport, with Jay giving him a lift to the location.

Running late a few, sorry man..... was the text they got as they arrived, which didn't bother Alex too much. He knew this was a favor that didn't need to happen, and appreciated his teammate giving him a hand. If it meant staying with Jay for a couple more hours, he was willing to accept it.

Jay takes a deep breath as they stand in the empty bay, knowing it'd be only a matter of time until the private plane landed. He had texted Hailey to let her know he was waiting for Alex's flight and then he'd be home, to which she didn't have a problem with. Meet me at Molly's was the response, which Jay knew that meant she was hanging out with Kim and some others from the district probably.

The quietness of the airport, with just a few cars and planes going by, didn't bother either of them. It gave a strange sort of peace, things just as normal, nothing to worry about, which was certainly a good change of pace from the last Chicago visit for Alex.

"Who is in my hanger?" The pair hear after about 10 minutes, catching them off-guard. Instinctively, Jay places his hand on his gun holster, ready to pull out as soon as necessary. "I thought I told you to keep this empty!"

"1102 is the hanger number that Chase told you, right?" Jay double checks, not feeling any comfort in the voices, almost ready to pull it out and be ready. The nod back in return was all he got, but the eyes behind the nod told the story as he could see Alex's anxiety climbing.

"I asked a question.....and if I was you Detective, I wouldn't pull that gun out." Jay then watches the lights turn on around them, revealing eight different guns pointed at his and Alex's direction. His hand moved just a few inches on his pocket, ready to hit his phone, knowing it'd either dial 9-1-1 or Hailey, but both would be good options. "I also wouldn't touch that phone, either." 

"This is just a mix-up...." Jay starts as the individuals close the distance between themselves, and the pair. The hands held out meant only one thing as Jay nods towards Alex. Alex catches the motion, pulling out his phone, dropping it in the guys hand. Jay then follows suit, as well as the gun that was in his pocket. "Look, we can clear this up imme-"

"You've already gone too far." Jay locks eyes on the men, trying to pull any facial feature, trying to figure out where he had possibly seen them before. His eyes then turn to their feet, as they place the phone on the ground, kicking it, stepping it, ensuring it was totally destroyed. Taking a deep breath, there was only one other crew he had met at this setting and knew what that turned into. However, he remembered the gun shot, remembered the arrest, and confirmation there was no future in sight. So it couldn't be....

"We made a mistake, okay? We can leave the area immediately - or at least my buddy here can as I can stay as long as you need me, too." It was instinct for him - cover the bystander, worry about his own safety when that was cleared up. He knew he could handle what they had to offer, whether torture or gun shot as he'd been through both. Right now, the focus was firstly on ensuring Alex's safety. "I should also have you know that a member of the Chicago Police Departmen-"

"Intelligence Unit. Yeah, I'm used to the bullshit that you like to say." He then watches one of the individuals come right over, taking off his mask and looking straight into his eyes. It was almost like he saw a ghost. All of those moments from the last time he was there - the failure to get away, the electrocution, torture, hung in the basement, his associate attacking Erin, the punches, tripping, gun shot, arrest - came to his mind, flowing through like a mini memory immediately. "We're both pretty sure I know who exactly you are, so you should know not to walk into where I do my business. I guess you didn't learn your lesson."

"Derek Keyes..." There was purpose in saying the man's name. If he was able to get Alex away and not himself, Alex would have things to report back to the unit to get Jay found as quickly as possible. It was also a tactic to put them on the same level, to show he wasn't deterred by the comments, ready to stand his ground just as equally this time. "Look, this is between you and I. We've got history, we've got buff, and clearly I need to figure out how you escaped prison. But he - he didn't do anything wrong. What do you say we let Alex go, and settle this together? I will go with you voluntarily, follow whatever you want, but let him go. He isn't involved at all." 

"And risk him spoiling everything by telling details of what he's seen, including my name as you mentioned? Don't play me for a fool, Halstead!" 

It was a flick of fingers - nothing more, nothing less. They caught everyone on their feet, attention drawn immediately to the pair of fingers. However, it wasn't for their motion but what they led to. 

The familiar surge he felt through his body, inability to control any limbs as he fell to the ground, everything convulsing, feeling himself fade to unconsciousness as it continue to pulse his body.....

He couldn't believe he was going through it again, but with a partner this time.