Chapter 49: California

The days had begun to pass by together - with Jay focused on healing himself moving forward. 

Everybody's predictions had become true. 

The pain remained - real sharp at times, bearable at other times. Sometimes it just remained there constant, and other times he felt the shocks he had been warned about. That was the nerve healing, he had to keep telling himself that and try to be patient with the process.

Thankfully, they had been right about the feeling in his legs - he was beginning to get more feeling with each passing day. He could now lift each leg a couple inches off the bed for a few minutes at a time. He could bend them to show some movement in the knee. He could also stand straight up bearing weight, but don't get him to move forward just yet.

"Patience" is what they repeated to him through the process - and he kept telling himself over and over, trying to be co-operative in knowing Connor and Will were doing what they could. However, busting out of the hospital was still an option he wanted to consider repeatedly.

He then takes a deep breath, feeling the pain increase once again as he bites his tongue.

"You do realize that you could use the pump more and give yourself relief," Will comments, earning an immediately head shake in return. That was the easy way out. That was the never the way he handled things as he could take what was being given his way. He didn't need to become dependent.

"Or something stronger," Connor adds as he enters the room, holding the needle in his arm. The comment caused the head shake to only increase, the fear of what could happen down that road repeating before his own eyes. However, the nerves and anxiety only increased in the eyes focusing on the needle, knowing that would be penetrating his skin in a matter of time.

"How many more needles do you need to give me?" Jay questions, fighting against every urge of his own to get away from the sight before him. However, even if he wanted, his lower body wasn't about to co-operate.

"Until the nerves decide to heal and stop giving you so much pain and shooting sensatio-"

"That doesn't mean that you lie to get out of it either," Wil continues, knowing that'd be the next step with Connor revealing the full truth. "Take a deep breath, relax..." He then holds out his hand to Jay, grabbing onto his. "Grab my hand, squeeze it for all you need to...."

"You may be needing an operation next," Connor offers, knowing the strength that Jay processed - sometimes surprised by just how much he put himself through. However, that didn't stop him from lifting up the back of his shirt, inserting the needle right by where they had fixed the nerve. He saw the body ache at the needle, pain obviously searing through to follow - as noticed by the bit lip on the face before him. 

"Breathe....." Will squeezes Jay's hand back in return as much as he can, resisting the urge to let out a scream of his own with how hard his brother had a grasp on him. Maybe he should have listened to Connor's advice.

"You should get some sleep." Jay shakes his head no as he reaches for the television remote, knowing he had plans. There wasn't much of a routine these days - twice a day with PT, four times a day with Connor, the constant visits by the nurses, and then the other visitors that may trickle through the doors at any time they pleased. However, he knew what he wanted to be doing this Sunday. "You don't have a case to work on, there's no appointments, and your body needs to heal. It's time to actually learn the definition of a health and medical brea-"

"I am watching the Cup race and then I will try to listen to you, okay?" Connor was about to say something in response, but stopped. There was an attempt listed there at the end. He was getting co-operation from Mission Impossible. How was he about to deny him right now?

"Deal."

*************************

The strong start continued to the season for Alex Bowman, as he backed up his fifth in the Daytona 500 with an eighth-place finish at Auto Club Speedway. It gave him the early points lead - something which had caught a lot of people off-guard. 

Will had actually turned out to enjoy the event watching with Jay, promising to join him next weekend for the next event. Perhaps he would find a driver of his own to cheer for then.  He was also surprised that Jay stuck to his word, ultimately falling asleep about an hour and a half after it was over. 

"So he's going to be okay?" Will hears on the phone as he takes a deep breath, looking over at the sleeping individual beside him. He was surprised when he heard his phone going off, and almost didn't answer when he saw the North Carolina number. However, he took the gamble who it was - and answered. It was then he remembered sharing his number in case an update was warranted.

"Alex, he should be okay," Will replies, lacing those words with certainty, though feeling every bit of uncertainty to himself as he did so. There was no guarantees when you were working with nerves. They may come back all the way, part way, or just none at all. It was also a risky area for other reasons. While all indications were pointing in the right direction, tomorrow may not see the progress continue. "He has more feeling and is doing more than he was before. If it continues progressing like that day by day, I'd give him a couple weeks and he'll be moving around like usual." 

"Well when he's feeling, he better not forget that I owe him a trip to the track this year - and I would welcome you to tag along." Will wasn't about to pass up the invitation based on what he was experienced today in watching his first race. 

"Hey, even if he keeps saying no and doesn't want to come, you're not turning me away anymore...."