Chapter 26: Saving Alex

Jay takes a deep breath as he looks at the knife in his hand, followed by the other things that were in the bag which Kelly had timely sent down for him. 

Another deep breath, and he knew he had to keep ignoring the pain that plagued through his leg, stomach, back, everywhere practically now. He could fight his own battles later. For now, he had to do this.

"Did you ask Kel-" Will questions, wanting to ensure his brother was prepared before he began talking him through each of the steps. He had made his way into one of the quiet rooms, taking a series of deep breathes of his own, not believing they were having this conversation right now. It was great to hear his brother's voice, and know he'd be okay. It was even better to know he had the strength to do what was necessary for a friend.

"A knife, a needle with the plunge ready to removed once inserted," Jay cuts him off, knowing they didn't have time to waste discussing the small details. It was all about getting to the nitty gritty and doing what was necessary right now. Let's face it - every second they wasted was not fair to Alex right now.

"Okay. You know this is going to take a bit of feel, you can't be squeamish and you have to get it righ-"

"Will, please..." He understood everything Will was warning him about - but he had done this before, and knew what would be result as he went through the steps. He just needed the extra confidence right now with his own weaknesses setting in, and felt any longer they took could result in him not being able to get it done accordingly.

"Take your fingers and find the collarbone...." Jay takes a deep breath as he places his hand on Alex's neck, running it down towards the chest as he feels for the bone in question. Closing his eyes, he knew what to look for and what it felt like - he almost broke his once upon a time. 

"Found it..." He rests his fingers on top, eyes focusing on the man before him, just hoping he wasn't too late with the patience they were both showing right now.

"Now, you move your fingers down his chest, feeling each bone. Count out until you find the third one." Jay takes another deep breath, eyes slightly closing - he had to fight the weakness that threatened to cause him to go unconscious and do this.

"One...two....three..." He takes a deep breath, forcing his eyes to remain wide open, knowing the battle wasn't over yet. He was stronger than this. He could withstand everything. 

"Now take the knife and make an incision right in that spot. Then you're going to plunge the needle into the hole, right into his lung - don't do it lightly, man. Once you're in, slowly pull the plunger out..." Jay takes a deep breath as he takes the knife with his hand, placing against the flesh of the skin. "You can do this, Jay.." 

"Says the man that would not trust me with his first aid kit when we were younger." Will couldn't help but chuckle in remembering some of their moments together through the years. Even if they hadn't always agreed on things, the memories and bond they shared is why they always found their way back together. It was why they were able to reconnect despite everything. 

"I believe in you..." Jay was ignoring the words spoken, focused on the task at hand, as he pulled the plunger back out, hearing a small whoosh of air as he did so. He then lets out a big sigh, knowing he had accomplished what he wanted, knowing that'd give Alex a fighting chance until Kelly and the crew were able to find their way down. "Jay..."

"I got it, man. It's in." He then takes a deep breath, allowing his eyes to leave Alex for a mere moment to look up above and check progress on the hole that Kelly and the firefighters were making, before looking back towards his friend. "He has a chance, Will."

"Kelly will get to you both soon, we will get you both out of there, and then I'll make sure we take care of him, Jay. We won't lose him." Jay knew he had to believe his brother's words, and did so considering everything they had done over the years. If anybody knew how well the doctors at Chicago Med worked, it was himself based on what he'd been through. He just had to hold on - they both had to right now. "Ja-"

"Erin!!" His eyes go wide as he remembers Derek's words before leaving, not believing he hadn't dared to mention anything before now. How could he had forgotten? There was a reason they were left there - because there was a new target in their mind. How could he had forgotten? "Call Hank. Tell him Derek knows where Erin is. He left Alex and I to go after her. I need to make sure she's okay, Will."

"Texting Hank now as I'm not dare hanging up on your ass..." Will knew if he did that, he would lose any hope he had as he could hear the weakness settling in with each word out of his brother's mouth. It was why he intended to do whatever necessary to keep the conversation going. "Hank says he will notify Olivia right away so they can have the right measures in place, okay?"

"Thank...you..." Jay takes a deep breath, as he feels every bit of him fighting against his consciousness, though wouldn't allow his eyes to close as he kept them locked on Alex's chest. "I won't lose someone because of him. I can't, Will..."

"Relax. Kelly will get you guys out, and Olivia will keep Erin safe. We got this, buddy. You've been strong - and you're amazing. Keep fighting, Jay, we all got you..." Will felt his own tears threatening to fall as he said the words, his pride for his brother causing the emotions to overwhelm him.

"Kelly!! Hurry, please!!"