Chapter 35 : Kat's distress

Inpu POV:

I had been looking through my wardrobe for something to wear at the ball when I heard Kat run into the mansion while yelling. "INPU! WHERE ARE YOU?!" I walked to the throne room and saw Kat trying to catch her breath. "Kat, you okay?" She stared into my eyes and said, "Does it look like I'm okay?" "Guess not. What happened?" Kat took a deep breath and said, "It's the damn book." I stood there in shock. Even though Kat didn't say what book, I knew which one she was talking about. "If this is the book I think you're talking about, why aren't you dead right now?" She looked around as if she was worried someone was watching, "Can we speak about this somewhere that's more private?" "Uh, y-yeah of course." I took her to Bryan's office and ensured a silent ward was on the two entrances so no one could hear. "Alright, what happened?" Kat still looked around the area. She was afraid; I could smell it. "It did something to Xiphos, but I'm not sure what. He's been coughing lately and at first, I thought it was the cold I caught, but when we went to my house to get medicine. Oh, my gods, he was covered in runes, his eyes were just like the book's, and the book spoke through him. Then chains appeared, and the next second he was completely normal, and I just," Kat started breaking down into tears, I wrapped my arms around her and soothed her. Making sure she let everything out. "Shhhh, it's okay. I know how that feels." Kat took a shaky breath and asked, "You do?" I nodded, "It happened to my sibling; they're alright now, but it was a lot. The coughing is new, but I don't think the book is in Xiphos like it was Magnus." She got confused, "What do you mean?" I sighed and began to give her a rundown on what happened with Magnus, "Magnus ended up touching the book. It was sort of inside of them, and then it completely possessed them later on." "Like a ghost?" I nodded, "Kind of. Magnus sprouted wings while being possessed. Doesn't have the wings anymore, but it did leave a mark on their back once we were able to get the book out of them." Kat looked at a photo Bryan had put on his desk. It had Magnus, Bryan, and me in it before the Aphrodite ball 6 years back. Kat walked over to the photo and picked it up, "Is this your sibling and husband?" I smiled, "Yeah, it is. It's kind of funny how Bryan was one of the first people we met when Magnus and I came to Camp Oasis. I had no idea who to trust or where to go, but when Bryan stumbled into the Egyptian camp, he helped us figure out a lot of things that confused us. He helped me a lot during and after what happened with Magnus." Kat put the photo down and looked at me, "Is, is Xiphos going to be alright?" I sighed, "That's a hard question. But, depending on how we go upon this, he'll be fine. Nightmares for a while, and depending on whether or not his wings change, major back pains, but he'll be fine." Kat sighed in relief, "That's good, but what do we do?" I grabbed a book from one of Bryan's shelves, "First off, we need Xylo and probably Cal in case things go downhill. We also need people that can go against my fighting style and fight off Xiphos's strength, because those are large factors in this scenario." Kat tilted her head and in confusion asked, "Why is your fighting style a factor? I understand Xiphos's strength. But we aren't fighting you, are we?" I sighed and then asked, "Kat, did you ever see me, but I looked different? Like my eyes were pure white and I had dragon wings." Kat's eyes widened and she snapped her fingers. "Yeah, actually, I did. Last summer it showed up at the meeting Zeratino had with, I think other timelines. It was odd." I nodded, "That sounds accurate. The book we're dealing with is from a different timeline, but it's the same as the one Xylo and I had to deal with. I ran into it last year as well. It was actually the thing that told me how to send Zeratino into the Underworld. But, even though the book has its own way of fighting, the body it possesses has muscle memory. Meaning it will fight in the style that fits the body best." Kat looked as though a lightbulb went off in her head. She said, "That explains a bit. Whenever it walked around, it walked the exact way you would walk. I would have expected it to walk slightly differently though, it seemed uncomfortable whenever it walked." (Uncomfortable?) I skimmed through a book while saying, "That's odd. I don't remember the book looking or feeling uncomfortable. But I didn't see it for too long. And I've only fought it once. But you humans are a lot more observant than I give you credit for. Thanks, that gives me some more information to work with." Kat blushed and smiled. She said, "You're welcome. I know I don't know everything around here or how most of this stuff works. But I do try to help where I can. Although," She looked outside a window and back to me. Kat asked sadly, "What are we going to say to the others? I'm worried about Zerry. If this goes wrong. He already lost Xiphos once before." I tried to speak, but I couldn't say anything. I knew there was no easy answer to this. Kat did as well. I looked back at the picture of Magnus, Bryan, and me. I began to speak, "Well, we-" "What's going on here?" I looked at the one entrance and saw Bryan, Xo, and Zeratino all standing in the doorway. Bryan had his arms crossed and asked another question. He was giving me his death glare while asking, "Inpu, why were there silence wards on the doors? And once again. What in the name of Titan is going on in here?"