Track Race

(3 months later, at the Metroville stadium, Dash is getting ready to run for a track race while the Parrs watch. Violet is talking to someone when Tony notices her.)

[PA announcements]

Violet: Do we have to have cheerleaders at the track meet? I mean, what is that all about?

Girl: Well, I always thought it was more like a...

Tony: Hey.

Violet: Hey.

Tony: You're, uh, Violet, right?

Violet: That's me.

Girl: See you, Vi.

Tony: You look different.

Violet: I feel different. Is different okay?

Tony: Hey, different is...[clears throat] Different is great. [stammering] Would you wanna...

Violet: Yeah?

Tony: Do you think maybe...[stammering]...you and I...you know...

Violet: Yeah?

Tony: Do you...

Violet: Shh. I like movies. I'll buy the popcorn. Okay?

Tony [stammering]: A movie. There you go. Yeah...yeah! Wait, wait...so Friday?

Violet: Friday.

[The crowd cheers as the race starts, Dash starts off in last place]

Bob: GO, GO, GO, GO, RUN, RUN, RUN, RUN!!! COME ON, COME ON, COME ON, PICK UP THE PACE!!

Helen: COME ON! RUN DASH RUN!! RUN, RUN, GO, GO!! RUN, RUN, RUN!

(Dash starts to get ahead too quickly.)

Maddie: AH! NO, MOVE BACK! MOVE BACK! JUST A LITTLE BIT! DON'T GIVE UP!! MAKE IT CLOSE! GO FOR SECOND!! CLOSE SECOND, CLOSE SECOND!

Lucius: AH! NO, NO, NO, NO!! GO FOR SECOND!!

(A man glances at the family with a confused or concerned expression on his face. Dash gets confused and starts going slower. When he starts to understand, he races back to second.)

Bob: YEAH!!!! That's my boy!

Helen: WHOO HOOO!!!

(Everyone walks out to the parking lot, with Dash holding a second place trophy.)

Lucius: Dash, I'm so proud of you.

Dash: I didn't know what the heck you wanted me to do.