Principal's Office

(Helen comes into the Principal's office.)

Principal: I appreciate you coming down here, Mrs. Parr.

Helen: What's this about? Has Dash done something wrong?

Bernie: He's a disruptive influence and he openly mocks me in front of the class.

Dash: He says.

Bernie: Look, I know it's you! He puts thumb tacks on my stool.

Helen: You saw him do this?

Bernie: Well y-...not really...no. Actually, not.

Helen: Oh, then how do you know it was him?

Bernie: I hid a camera. (Dash gasps) And this time I got him.

(The footage shows Bernie heading to his seat and when he's about to sit down, for a couple of frames, Dash is seen running to the seat and back to his desk.)

Bernie: See? You see? (Helen and the principal try to see it) What, you don't see it? (he sighs, and rewinds the tape)

Bernie: He moves! Right there! Wait, wait! (he rewinds again) Right......there! Right as I'm sitting down! (as he said there, Dash flickered back to his desk on a split second) I don't know, I don't know how he does it, but there's no tack on my stool before he moves and after he moves, there's a tack! Coincidence? I think NOT!

Principal: Uh...Bernie.....(he pats his shoulder)

Bernie: Don't "Bernie" me... [screaming] THIS LITTLE RAT IS GUILTY!!!!!!!

Principal: You and your son can go now, Mrs. Parr. I'm sorry for the trouble.

Bernie: You're letting him go again?! He's guilty! You can see it on his smug little face!! GUILTY, I SAY, GUILTY!!!!!!!!! GUILTY, GUILTY!!!! NO!!!!!

(Dash and Helen ride in their car to Violet's school.)

Helen: Dash...this is the third time this year you've been sent to the office. We need to find a better outlet, a more...constructive outlet.

Dash: Maybe I could, if you'd let me go out for sports.

Helen: Honey, you know why we can't do that.

Dash: I promise I'll slow up. I'll only be the best by a tiny bit.

Helen: Dashiell Robert Parr, you are an incredibly competitive boy, and a bit of a showoff. The last thing you need is temptation.

Dash: You always say, "Do your best", but you don't really mean it. Why can't I do the best that I can do?

Helen: Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we just gotta be like everybody else.

Dash: Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of. Our powers made us special.

Helen: Everyone's special, Dash.

Dash: Which is another way of saying no one is.

(At Western View Junior High, Violet stands next to the stairs outside and Tony, her crush, walks out.)

Boy: Hey, Rydinger. Where you headed?

Girl: Hi, Tony.

Tony: Hey.

Boy: Hey, Tony, can I carry your books?

Tony: That's kind of funny.

Boy 1: Hey, Tony, do you play football?

Boy 2: Tony, I thought we were gonna go swimming.

(Tony walks by Violet but when he turns around he doesn't see anyone. Confused, Tony walks away. Violet was invisible but her clothes were still visible. She becomes visible again.)

Violet: He looked at me.

[car horn honking]

Dash: Come on, Violet!

(Maddie also got off from work to pick up her kids.)

[Bob is on a interstate highway, heading home from Insuricare.]

[He slowly arrives with his under-sized hatchback. When he opens the door, he slips on a skate and leaves a finger crush on the door.]

Bob: [muttering] Darn kids. Sitting on the driveway. [He notices his finger crush on the door.] Oh, great.

(Bob attempts to shut the car door with increasing frustration. The third time he quickly throws it closed, only for the door window to crack and shatter. He loses his temper and lifts the car over his head, only to see a child on a tricycle staring at him. The child's bubblegum bubble pops. Bob puts the car down, and checks for the kid. And goes back in the house.)