deal or no deal

❞⁀➷♡'ˎ˗"why so much?"

❞⁀➷♡'ˎ˗
"why so much?"

satō smiled, bending forward and tucking his knife in the crux of his arm facing up. as you landed, it pierced your side. amidst his psychotic laughter you swore to yourself.

thyroid. that's not great.

he leaned back, using his knife for leverage to throw your body forward as he flipped you and you landed on your back with a thud. all the air flew out of your lungs as you wheezed for oxygen. just then, the two researchers dashed through the shelves to make their escape. he equipped his pistol at breakneck speeds, raising it and firing off a well aimed shot as the man closed the door using it as a shield. you got up amidst the gunfire, plunging your black matter blade at his back with both hands.

with no time to react, suddenly his elbow collided with your chin and sent you back to the floor. as your back hit the floor, you wondered why you even bothered helping those people in the first place. it wasn't practical.

the female researcher popped the cap of the handheld marker she found before rushing out the door, the man gave her an incredulous look. "are you-?!"

"we promised." she cut him off, reaching out to the wall. "you'd assist its escape? this is all on you." he retorted as she pressed the marker hard against the wall and took off running to the exit.

from in the room, you wheezed clutching your wound. "why did i.. even try this?!" you backed up after finally regaining your footing, back hitting the wall as you struggled to catch your breath. he stalked forward and you leaned your head up to look, grinning at his brandished knife about to close in on your neck. before he could strike, he suddenly stopped and backed up. "the hell is this..?" he muttered, eyeing you confused.

that's about when your hearing started to clear up and you noticed the pool of black matter on the ceiling. "why so much?" he asked. you looked up, arms with bird talons taking shape above your head. a shape you had never seen before, so this must be sora. she's the only one that can morph. she popped out of the wall and stood in a squat in front of you. "she'll... take good care of kuma... right...?" your eyes widened. "she'd say something from so long ago, but why? i wasn't an ajin when i said that.." satō eyed you, the puzzle pieces clicking just as you spoke. just then, you dashed to the door and he got ready to throw his knife. not before sora cut the arm clean off his wrist, nicking your arm with her claws as she did.

"why don't we break... their arms?" sora and him made something akin to eye contact, he found himself wondering what is it with this one? she swung her arm, flipping satō and cutting his leg off mid air. sure, black ghosts wander on their own and repeat words... but this one is- as his body reached a 90° angle, she swung her talons into his stomach and pinned him to the floor. a little too independent, no?

"good girl, sora! hold him there!" he coughed, blood spurting from his mouth onto the floor and his shirt. sora leaned back, letting out a demented scream that even made you cover your ears. eventually, it trailed off and she muttered to you. "sorry to have caused so much trouble." you shook your head, patting her arm. "don't apologize, sora. you had great timing there." you finally turned your attention back to satō's dying form, you tilted your head. "uh, oh. that's bad. he's totally gonna die. hey, listen. you're awake right?" the only reply you got was a series of gross bloody coughs and garbles. you cringed and patted his shoulder. "great! so, listen. i'm real sorry about shooting you, and just for that i'll make it up to you. say nothing if theres a portal back to our world in this building." he remained silent, blinking at you slowly as you could see him fading slowly. "alright, say nothing if the doctors watching my experiments are from our world too."

more silence followed and you sighed, pinching the bridge of your nose. his squinted eyes drifted shut and you slapped his cheek softly. "uh-uh. not yet." cough! "so, here's the deal. sora goes and fetches your doctors, takes em back to our world with you. you create me a nice distraction in exchange, and put up a good show on the roof with me to prove my innocence to the public. cough if we have a deal, cough twice if we have a deal and you have questions." two coughs later and you motioned to his body, sora snatched her talons from his stomach and they shifted back to her usual claws just in time for her to slit his throat clean. he sat up shortly after, an unsettling smile on his face as he looked up at you.

"why don't you wanna go home?"

"i've got a contract with a devil, told me i'm dead when i go back. no idea how that'd happen but i trust 'er." he nodded, standing and cleaning your blood off his knife as sora stood beside him with a shake. she looked almost like she was barely able to resist attacking.

"i'll strike your deal on one condition."

"well, sure. i didn't expect you to not negotiate."

he grinned

"come back. i don't care if it's now, or in 10 years. just come back to our world, preferably before i expire."

you raised an eyebrow, crossing your arms

"why?"

"haven't had this kinda fun in a fight since the first arcade game i ever played. come back and fight me in some good old fashioned modern warfare sometime. i wanna see how witty you get with no rules to play by."

you laughed, for the first time since you woke up in this building it was quite genuine. you extended your arm to him, smiling.

"deal."

with a shake, you told sora the plan and satō explained who he was after (and who sora could brutally murder.) you negotiated yourself a pistol and finally turned to run down the hallway.

"count to ten!" you joked and he grinned.

your expression mirrored his own as you opened the door and gave him a peace sign, eyeing the halls around you before dashing in the direction of the marker on the walls.

knew it was worth saving those lousy researchers. so, can all demi humans summon that black ghost? speak of the devil and he shall arrive, mindlessly, yumi droned behind you protectively. oddly enough, she seemed to escape you sometimes. the only thing is, you couldn't seem to summon any matter weapons when she was around. only reinforce your skin.

satō trailed down the hallway shortly after you began to climb the steps. his eyes caught a doorway as he walked past, paying it no mind. the man inside cheered, he had stayed behind while the woman went to the roof without him. turns out, hiding paid off.

a gunshot rang in the halls and the door slowly slid open, something stepped through, black claws clutching a gun that ordinarily couldn't be detected. "wh-wha.. huh?!" it stepped fully into the room, eyeing him amusedly. "oh, you can see it?" satō skipped down the hallway, his voice replicated by the creature as he spoke to no one in his real body. "at times it's visible even to humans when a strong emotion is aimed at them." the man scrambled backwards from the creature. "malice, say." it spoke, mirroring his words as he controlled it remotely. "h-help..." he muttered, frozen in place as his body seized up in fear.

"i don't think so, my bad." the snakes tongue withered out slowly as it spoke. "you see... i rather enjoy killing." as its jaw unhinged to reveal its rows of teeth with drool hanging off of the roof of the mouth, all that could be heard were the mans screams as the snake ghost devoured him whole.

"count to ten!"
✧‿➹

"count to ten!"✧‿➹