Chapter 15

Toby

Today is Saturday aka the day of our match against the Harrington Heirs and I am more then anxious, let me tell you that. Since Zoe's nerves are on edge due to her date today, I decide to not bother her with the whole Isaac problem. I am such a good friend. After I make a mental note to ask the girl about the date, I lean back.

We are currently inside the team bus on our way to Harrington. If we lose today, I can still blame it on their home advantage, I guess. Isaac is sitting next to me, the boy focuses something in the distance, what, I assume, is Harrington High. Which means the drive will not take much longer.

Once we arrive, the captain, I recognize as Jayden, gives a short speech. We are so happy bla bla bla. Don't care. Boring.

Coach also seems tense today, since we took off in Ferndale, she is fidgeting with her whistle that hangs around her neck. I swear to god, if that women touches that goddamn thing again, I will rip it off her neck myself. Thanks for nothing Coach, really. I roll my eyes.

Another thing that has bothered me since our arrival is the constant compassionate look every time Isaac's eyes meet Jayden's. The boys' eyes should be filled with excitement, anticipation even. Even anxiety is acceptable right now.

Unfortunately, my fears from before come true in the first half of the match. Isaac is not focused and Jayden is kind of shit too, even though I have never seen the boy play, but that is surely not how the captain of a rivaling football team plays. And what's more, Oscar, our second strongest player, is kind of miserable too.

Now, that's enough. The fucking holy trinity or what. I thought they were buddies, they seemed like friends back in the diner, what happened?

Even though Oscar and Isaac are currently being quite literally stabbed by the glaring of Mrs. Peterson, our team still manages to somehow score against the Harrington Heirs. Also, who even calls their team 'Heirs', what the fuck?

In the second and thus decisive half we manage to extend our lead even more and take a win home with us at the end of the day, leaving behind a depressed team and an even more depressed crowd of fans. Happens to the best of us, I guess, an evil smile on my face.

I decide to leave Isaac alone for the rest of the trip, since he is already struggling to keep Coach off his balls. But he is not the only victim today, Oscar is also on the devil's list. Isaac you naughty little fucker, I huff as I enter the bus.

~~~~~~~

Zoe

The black dress? No, too loose. The white one? Never, my ass looks flat in this one. Where's Toby when you need him. He has always been the one with a good sense of fashion and what looks good. Isaac, on the other hand, always pursued his own style. I am still not over the camouflage ripped trousers he once wore in second grade. Nightmare material - let me tell you that.

But his clothing style improved over the last couple of years, thankfully. I would describe his style as old-money, straight out of my Pinterest feed. If it weren't for the fact that we are friends since kindergarten and his stupid stubbornness, I'd consider dating him.

But right now I have more important stuff to think about rather than debating if I should date one of my best friends. Focus, Zoe Blackwell, focus. I say while smacking my forehead repeatedly. A technique that has proven itself worthy over the last couple of years.

I quickly decide on the black dress and some designer shoes, my mum got me a while ago. I grab a neat looking bag and drown myself in my favorite perfume. Perfect. To top it all of, I add some red lipstick and make my way downstairs.

I hope I don't look like a desperate bitch to him with this outfit. Before my thoughts can consume me, I hear my mom approaching me from behind. A wide grin on her face.

"You look stunning Zoe." Her voice instantly lighting up my mood. Filled with newfound confidence, thanks to her, I hug the old lady.

I am very happy to have her and dad in my life. I can proudly say that I have always been the center of their world since I was little. Anything I want, I get. But please don't get me wrong, they expect nothing short than gratitude and obedience in return. But I can manage that as long as they don't exaggerate of course.

A quick glance at the clock tells me that he should be here in about a minute or two. A new message on my phone causes me and my mom to separate again.

Toby👽: "you look stunning, don't worry."

Me: "ass-kisser. also how the fuck do you know?"

Toby👽: "language."

Toby👽: "you got this."

I hate it when he acts like my fricking authority or something. He is exactly two days older than me, still that shit never gets boring to him. I unconsciously start smiling, the panic from before long forgotten.

The moment is suddenly interrupted by a light knock on the door, indicating the arrival of my date. Here goes nothing, I think as I make my way towards the door. I look at my mom once again, a reassuring smile on her face. I am so ready for tonight.