Chapter 43

Jayden

Today is Saturday. I have been looking forward to today since Tuesday, because Isaac and me will go on a date. Don't get me wrong, I fucking know that it is meant as a joke, but to hell with that, it is a date for me. I won't let that opportunity pass.

Now, I am aware that we discussed how we stand to each other, but people can change and maybe that is exactly what Isaac is doing right now - changing. Or I am just a delusional guy who thinks the whole world revolves around him, one of the two.

Me: "i'll pick u up at 8."

I send Isaac a quick text, before finally hitting the shower for today - my team worked hard today and so did I. We are currently practicing for the game against Isaac's team next week. We are planning to actually win this time, plus that will be the last big match of the season, therefore, we have to beat them once and for all. God, I would hold it against him forever. My thinking is suddenly interrupted by the sound of my phone indicating a new message. I quickly grab my phone off the bedside table to see that the new text is actually from Isaac.

Isaac🔥: 👍

Me: "use ur words xx"

Isaac🔥: ❌

Me: "yeah, cu"

Isaac🔥: 👋

I didn't even realize that I started smiling during our interaction, that boy really is something else, I shake my head before stripping down completely. Next stop: shower. I have to smell good for our little date today, right? Should I shave? I quickly dismiss that thought - I am many things but not a megalomaniac.

~~~~~~~

It is 7:55 pm and I am standing in front of Isaac's house. My hands are drenched in sweat and my forehead is also a little too wet for my liking. Oh god, why does that happen now of all times? I am fucking Jayden Oswald, get a hold of yourself man. I take a deep breath, before finally pressing on the doorbell button. Seconds pass after hearing the alarming noise of the bell. If I ran now I could make it to my car, maybe even drive off without anyone seeing me. But what should I tell him?

"Hey Jay." Isaac's voice suddenly reaches me and immediately brings me back to reality. He is waving in front of my face, trying to get a response out of me, shit I zoned out. Fuck.

"Oh, hi." I say trying to act put together. I hope he doesn't realize my nervousness, that would be embarrassing. "I need to get my shoes, wait a sec." The boy explains to which I just nod, before he vanishes into the house again.

I must say, Isaac looks good tonight, like really good. He is dressed in a grey hoodie under a red flannel, paired with black jeans and his signature converse. Don't get me wrong, Isaac always somehow manages to look good, it simply doesn't matter, if he just ran two miles, he could still be the cover of some fancy magazine. In fact, his beauty was the first thing I noticed about him.

My face escapes a little smile as I see the very same boy running down the stairs in full steep, nearly tackling the drying rack. "Now we can leave." He says while grabbing the keys, which I suppose are for the door. "After you." I motion towards my car with a big grin. The nervousness from before long forgotten.

~~~~~~~

Isaac

Now, I am not that dumb, I told Oscar about my little date with Jayden tonight, because I actually want the thing between me and Oscar to work out this time. He, of course, did not approve of the idea, but I already promised Jayden to go with him.

Devil: „have fun"
Devil: 👎🏻

Me: „stop crying"

Devil has blocked you.

I quickly shove my phone back in my pocket as I enter Jayden's car - a pick-up. Oscar is such a baby, I smile.

Jayden looks really good. But I after my eyes linger a little longer at the boy, I finally direct my gaze out of the window of the car. I don't know, it feels like cheating - since Tuesday, me and Oscar have been texting and we decided to give that thing between us a try. We don't really know if it works out and to say that I am scared of the future is an understatement, but for now I think that Oscar is the right one for me, I hope he feels the same.

We are not boyfriends or anything, but we are also not nothing, you know? It is hard to explain, so let's switch the topic. "How is Lia by the way, haven't seen her since the fair." I try to break the silence that settled in between us, I look at the boy again. He seems to be thinking for a moment, before answering.

"She is fine." He stops and smiles. "Since the funfair she talks about you every day, I don't know how, but you left an impact on her, well, on both of us." His eyes now studying me carefully. After a second his gaze is directed back to the street since he is currently driving, which gives me the perfect opportunity to look at him a little longer.

I left an impact, huh.

I am so preoccupied with my mind that I don't even notice that the car stopped. "Hey Isaac, uh, we're here." The voice of Jayden breaking my trance in an instant. "Are you good though?" I don't answer immediately, careful not to raise suspicion. "Yeah, don't worry. I am fine." I breath out slowly. "Very fine, actually." I flash him a toothy grin to which he starts smiling as well.

We stare at each other for a little longer, until my phone breaks the comfortable silence, a new message. My eyes move from to boy to the bright display, which contrasts the dark night sky - a starless night.

Devil has unblocked you.

Devil: 😑😑

I unconsciously start smiling as I read the new message from Oscar. "What's so funny?" The voice of the boy next to me brings me back to reality once again. I shake my head and put my phone back into my right pocket. "Just Toby being his usual self." I explain, I feel like Jayden doesn't need to know about me and Oscar just yet. Jayden seems to understand and drops the topic thankfully.

"Want some popcorn?" He questions to which I nod. "For sure man." Jayden is in the middle of exiting the vehicle when I stop him with my arm, his head spins around immediately, now looking at me, confused. "Let me get some, I need to make this call." I say while pointing to the silhouette of my phone in the pocket. "Yeah, sure." The boy shrugs, before I exit the car and walk towards the nearby popcorn stand.