Chapter 18

Isaac

After the party yesterday and mine and Oliver's you know I haven't been able to think straight. My head is spinning and not just because of my raging hangover. A certain blue eyed boy occupies my mind since hours. How did we even end up in this situation? And the worst part is that I was the one who took the first step by closing the gap between us back in the closet.

Fuck. I am really not looking forward to tomorrow. Monday has always been a pain in the ass but now with that thing that happened and practice after school, where we will eventually meet - I feel less motivated than ever.

Since I've already spent half of the day lazily lounging on the couch and I am not that drained anymore, I decide to go for a quick run as I realize the sun is slowly setting. I couldn't really concentrate on the film anyway.

After searching through the shoe cabinet in search for my old trainers, I grab my headphones and open the front door. I am immediately welcomed by a late summer breeze ruffling through my hair. I close my eyes for a second and enjoy the atmosphere, before I make the first step.

Running has always been my kind of therapy, I don't know how to describe it. While running I get the chance to let my thoughts set free. Somehow the mess that is normally in my head becomes crystal clear. I pick up my pace as I see the familiar park gates creeping up in my field of vision.

The playground in the park is void of any people, the whole park is, to be precise - just the way I like it. But before I get the chance to take my environment in completely my wild mind gets the better of me, occupying my train of thoughts in an instant.

An there they are again. Those eyes. Those stupidly beautiful eyes.

The first time I met Oliver was in kindergarten, I was lucky to be paired in a different group than him but we eventually met at the little playground in front of the building one day and the first thing I noticed about the small boy was his eyes.

I still remember that feeling. My little brain stopped functioning as we made eye contact for the first time. Mine and his orbs shining in a symphony of glowing colors, battling even. That was the moment when our feud had started, the silent promise of taunting and battling, bruises and insults - it all came down on us, crashing and burning.

And now I am here, thinking of those same eyes again, not one ounce of rage in me. And as I realized it, I build my wall back up again, scared. One thing I learned from our rivalry is to never show people how you truly feel, that makes you an easy target, vulnerable.

As the captain of the football team popularity has always been my silent companion and, therefore, I wear a mask most of the time when I enter the old school building. They want the view of a picture perfect boy, leading the football team to victory this season, occasional hook-ups speculations, a few scandals involving Isaac Anderson and, of course me and Oscar clashing heads, that's it.

Real feelings or even emotions are superfluous here, they expect a show and that is exactly what they get, I sigh. But I am not sure if I can keep that vision up any longer, academical pressure, football and the need to succeed, my mom struggling at home, and of course a certain black haired boy named Oscar Thompson make it harder every day. I can only wait for the moment when Isaac Anderson starts crumbling and eventually breaks.

And I have this growing feeling that it will resemble a supernova and completely destroy my universe once and for all. The explosion of a shining star - a complete destruction.

~~~~~~~

My expectations were confirmed, as I strolled through the gates of hell the next day. All eyes on me the second I exited my car. The news of me and Oscar together behind closed doors for seven minutes must have spread like wildfire. Already familiar with how school gossip works, many speculations should be established by now. I hate it already and first period hasn't even begun.

"There he is, Isaac Anderson." I hear the familiar voice of my best friend behind me, making it's way to my locker.

"The one and only." I return, making him smile.

"You won't believe what I've heard." He starts.

"Oh, save it, will you." I try to block his voice out as he starts again.

"Half of the student body thinks you and Oscar fought the shit out of each other in that small cabinet. Some even saw that thing shaking, what the fuck happened?" His voice now filled with curiosity.

I immediately think back to the way his body was pressed against mine, that must have caused the closet to move a little. Shit.

"We fought and we drew." I lie, kinda happy that most of the people came to that conclusion. I mean its not a complete lie, we fought, just not with out fists. But, wait, what did the other half think?

"Wait, what does the other-" I couldn't finish my sentence, as my eyes make contact with blue ones on the other side of the hallway, already looking at me. There he is.

Toby follows my gaze and realizes why I stopped talking abruptly. He elbows me hard in my side, causing me to hiss in pain. My eyes now on him.

"What the-" I couldn't finish that sentence either.

"Let's go." Before I get the chance to protest, he pulls me into the direction of the chem lab, away from the piercing cold stare.